|Type||Home video game console|
|Introductory price||approx. US$200|
The Intellivision Amico is an upcoming video game console produced by Intellivision Entertainment. It is set to launch in North America, the United Kingdom, and Europe on October 10, 2020 with an expected retail price of approximately US$200. The console will include five games preloaded at launch with an additional 40 titles available at that time.
The Intellivision Amico will strictly feature 2D and 2.5D games only and Intellivision Entertainment is funding all software development for their all-exclusive curated library of games. All games will be rated E-everyone or E10+. Updated versions of many of the popular classic Intellivision games will be available with improved graphics and sound and, unlike previous Intellivision compilations, will include some previous third-party licenses, such as Tron Deadly Discs. New versions of several classic Atari games, as well as games from Imagic and arcade classics such as Moon Patrol and BurgerTime, are in development. All games will sell for under USD $10. Both downloadable games and games on physical media will be available, with special edition releases available on SD cards. The Amico's goal is to return to family gaming and "couch co-op" among people in the same location which the company feels has been lost in modern gaming and web-based multiplayer.
In May 2018, Tommy Tallarico announced his plans to launch a new Intellivision console and formed a new company, Intellivision Entertainment, serving as president. Intellivision Productions was renamed Blue Sky Rangers Inc. and their video game intellectual property was transferred to the new Intellivision Entertainment.
At the Portland Retro Gaming Expo in October 2018 the new Intellivision console was officially unveiled, including its name and launch date of October 10, 2020. Developer kits were expected to go out in Summer 2019.
In May 2019 Intellivision Entertainment revealed its first major console exclusive title, announcing that it had assembled ten members of the original Earthworm Jim team to create a third installment in the franchise in honor of its 25th anniversary. The following month, the company debuted the functioning Amico hardware behind closed doors at E3 2019, allowing industry insiders to play in-development games on one of the functional console variants, and try out the compatible phone controller mobile app.
At Gamescom in Cologne, Germany in August 2019 Tommy Tallarico debuted a trailer that contained in-game footage running on the Amico hardware to the public for the first time. In October 2019, Tommy Tallarico attended Insomnia Dubai, a gaming convention held in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, to announce they set up an office in Dubai to launch the Amico in the MENA region on the same day as North America and Europe.
The Intellivision Amico comes bundled with two controllers. The controllers charge wirelessly when they are placed into their cradle on top of the console. They feature bluetooth technology, speakers, a microphone, accelerometers, force feedback, and gyroscope capability. They also feature a full-color touch screen and physical buttons and direction disc & motion controls. Up to six additional players can connect, with players able to use a free controller smartphone app in place of an Amico controller when needed.
- "October 2018 Press Release" (PDF). Intellivision Entertainment. Retrieved 22 August 2019.
- "Intellivision Reveals 5 Colors for the New Amico Console". Geek Tyrant. Retrieved 22 August 2019.
- Takahashi, Dean. "Intellivision Entertainment prepares for its rebirth on 10-10-20". Venture Beat. Retrieved 26 August 2019.
- Williams, Carl. "Intellivision Entertainment Announce Amico Console". steemit.com. Retrieved 26 August 2019.
- Pelone, Anthony. "First Look at Intellivision Amico". heypoorplayer.com. Retrieved 26 August 2019.
- Fischer, Tyler (October 20, 2018). "Intellivision Amico Console Officially Announced, Release Date Revealed". Comicbook.com. Retrieved October 21, 2018.
- "May 2018 Press Release" (PDF). Intellivision Entertainment. Retrieved 22 August 2019.
- Takahashi, Dean (May 29, 2018). "Intellivision lives: Tommy Tallarico will relaunch 1980s console". VentureBeat. Retrieved May 29, 2018.
- "September 2019 Press Release" (PDF). Intellivision Entertainment. Retrieved 22 August 2019.
- Roney, Steve. "Intellivision Productions, Blue Sky Rangers and Intellivision Entertainment". atariage. Retrieved 28 December 2018.
- "May 2019 Press Release" (PDF). Intellivision Entertainment. Retrieved 22 August 2019.
- Hall, Charlie. "Earthworm Jim game in development for the new Intellivision console". Polygon. Retrieved 22 August 2019.
- Franzese, Tomas. "The Intellivision Amico is Real and its Goals Are Commendable". Dual Shockers. Retrieved 22 August 2019.
- "Intellivision Entertainment Launches New Trailer for Their Upcoming Amico Video Game Console". Retro Game Network. Retrieved August 22, 2019.
- Hamad, Marwa (October 17, 2019). "Insomnia Dubai: Supercars and gaming announcements on day one". Gulf News. Retrieved October 25, 2019.
- Hall, Charlie. "Intellivision plans comeback with a new console called Amico in 2020". Polygon. Retrieved 26 August 2019.
- Santa Maria, Alex. "It's Game On For Intellivision's Forthcoming Amico Console". mandatory.com. Retrieved 26 August 2019.
- Diaz, Jesus. "What the Hell Is the New Intellivision Console?". tomsguide.com. Retrieved 26 August 2019.
- Battikh, Rany. "Intellivision Amico Gamescom 2019 Trailer". retrorgb.com. Retrieved 26 August 2019.
- Owens, Skip. "Geek Links: Intellivision Amico Announcement". geekdad.com. Retrieved 26 August 2019.