Islam in Seychelles
|Islam by country|
Islam in the Indian Ocean was established by Muslim sea merchants well before the European discovery of Seychelles. However, unlike in other island states including the Comoros and Maldives, there were no permanent inhabitants in Seychelles until the French settlement in 1770. Today, the Muslim population of the islands is reported to be only 1.1%, roughly 900 people. Many of its island neighbors in the southern Indian Ocean, including Comoros, the Maldives and Zanzibar, have a much larger Muslim influence because of their colonization by Muslims, before European colonization. Mauritius also has a much higher Muslim population due to the importation of labour from British India on a scale not seen in Seychelles. The government of Seychelles allows 15 minutes of religious broadcasting every Friday for the Muslim community.
Approximately 1.6 percent of Seychelles is Islam, though many Islam mosques have been built around the country. One of the prominent islands with many of the Muslims and mosques is the island of Mahe.
According to the 2010 Census, there were 1,459 Muslims in the Seychelles constituting 1.6 % of the population of Seychelles. This is an increase of 593 from the 2002 census, which reported 866 Muslims constituting 1.1 % of the population. In 1994, there were 506 Muslims constituting 0.7 % of the country's population.
Islamic Society of Seychelles and fasting
An Islamic Society of Seychelles (current president: Ibrahim Afif) attempted to start their own program named Explore Islam. However, the program was closed down unexpectedly.
- "Exploring Islam". www.nation.sc. Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- "Seychelles Population". www.historycentral.com. Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- "Countering the 'negative branding' of Islam - Muslims in Seychelles seek local dialogue". Seychelles News Agency. Retrieved 9 June 2020.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 14 May 2014. Retrieved 12 November 2013.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Housing and Population Census 2002". Archived from the original (PDF) on 14 August 2020. Retrieved 14 August 2020.
- "Month of fasting over, Islamic community in Seychelles celebrates Eid, reflects on peace, love". SBC. 5 June 2019.