Istanbul Contemporary Art Museum
This article needs to be updated.(June 2017)
İstanbul Çağdaş Sanat Müzesi, iS.CaM
|Location||Galata, Istanbul, Turkey|
|Type||Contemporary art museum|
|Collection size||Mehmet Sinan Collection|
|Curator||Dr. Marcus Graf|
|Public transit access||Subway available at Sishane.|
|Nearest car park||Available at Sishane.|
Istanbul Contemporary Art Museum (iS.CaM) is an independent, artist run museum established in Istanbul in 1997. It is the oldest contemporary art museum in Istanbul. iS.CaM an alternative art organisation that develops, evolves and collaborates with other institutions and networks. One of its tenets is that art and education should go together hand in hand. In terms of the Internet it is pioneering, including the establishment of the Web Biennial, a Biennial entirely on the Internet. The founder is conceptual artist Genco Gulan and the chief curator is Dr. Marcus Graf. We collaborate with Galata Perform in many projects.
Genco Gulan established “Istanbul Contemporary Art Museum” as an art project in 1997. The project has evolved for many years. Recently he manifested in Berlin that he is the “Erste Lebende Kunst Museum” (the first living art museum) after Tim Ulrich.
The Web Biennial, abbreviated as "WB", is an online Art exhibition of net-art and web-art. It is organised by Istanbul Contemporary Art Museum, iS.CaM, and founded by Genco Gulan right at the turn of the century. As a web Formation Web Biennial is as old as Wikipedia. Every two years WB takes the form of virtual 'pavilions', presenting a large amount of contemporary Internet art, linking them in one way or another. Each participating website or project is represented by special tag in the title tag and or a link on the Web Biennial website. Though an online project, Web Biennial is sometimes compared to other Biennials. See:
In every area of life, a new generation of young Turks is reaching outward. This year's Art Biennale will draw artists from Bosnia, Iran, Egypt, Greece and Lebanon—a most uncommon mix—while the Web Biennale will feature work by Armenians, Ukrainians, Serbs, Macedonians and Romanians. "Istanbul these days has as much dynamism as New York," says Genco Gulan, director of the Istanbul Contemporary Art Museum. If anything, he enthuses, "Istanbul is more alive.
There's more interest here in doing something new.
-  Intute, UK. Retrieved 2012-06-01.
- Gibbons, Fiachra. (2006-06-13) Istanbul set to stamp its culture credentials. International Herald Tribune. Retrieved 2012-06-01.
- Lubelski, Abraham. (December 22, 2006) Contemporary Istanbul Archived 2007-02-11 at the Wayback Machine Art Fairs International. Retrieved 2012-06-01.
- Arikonmaz, Piril Gulesci (2012-02-02)'Ben bir müzeyim’ Haberturk. Retrieved 2012-06-01
- "Web biennial". www.intute.ac.uk. Retrieved 6 June 2012.
- Foorhar, Rana and Mathews, Owen. (2005-08-28) Turkish Delight Archived 2012-05-11 at the Wayback Machine. Newsweek. Retrieved 2012-06-01.