Morel with Marseille in May 2013
|Date of birth||2 April 1984|
|Place of birth||Lorient, France|
|Height||1.73 m (5 ft 8 in)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 23:31, 8 February 2020 (UTC)|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 19 November 2019
Jérémy Morel (born 2 April 1984) is a professional footballer who plays as a centre-back for Ligue 1 club Lorient and the Madagascar national team. Born in France, he opted to represent Madagascar internationally.
Born in Lorient, Morel made his senior debut for FC Lorient at the age of 19, coming on as a substitute for Pape Malick Diop in Lorient's Ligue 2 1–0 defeat at home to FC Gueugnon on 19 April 2003. He played only one other match (a Ligue 2 match) in the 2002–03 season. In the next three seasons, he progressively played more matches for Lorient. Morel played 28 matches in Lorient's 2005–06 Ligue 2 season in which Lorient finished in third position; they were thus promoted to Ligue 1 for the 2006–07 season.
On 13 April 2017, Morel pinched the ball from goalkeeper Fabri in the penalty area and tapped it into an empty net in the 84th minute for the final goal of Lyon's 2–1 home 2016–17 UEFA Europa League quarterfinal first-leg win against Beşiktaş; it was his first career competitive goal for Lyon and the first UEFA club competition goal of his club career, coming in his 33rd UEFA club competition match, having played 23 matches in the UEFA Champions League and 10 matches in the UEFA Europa League for both Marseille and Lyon.
In summer 2020, Morel rejoined his boyhood club FC Lorient on a free transfer, signing a one-year deal with an option for another year. Lorient are newly promoted to Ligue 1 after finishing top at the end of the 2019–20 Ligue 2 season.
On 28 October 2018, Morel announced that he will represent Madagascar national football team, the birth country of his father. He made his debut for Madagascar on 18 November 2018 in an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Sudan.
- As of match played on 19 November 2019
- Scores and results Madagascar's goal tally first.
|1.||19 November 2019||Stade Général Seyni Kountché, Niamey, Niger||Niger||6–1||6–2||2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualification|
- "Accord de principe pour Jérémy Morel !" (in French). Olympique de Marseille's official website. 19 June 2011. Archived from the original on 28 August 2012. Retrieved 20 June 2011.
- "Jérémy Morel a fait le tour à l'Olympique de Marseille, il file à l'Olympique Lyonnais". Eurosport. 1 June 2015.
- "Lyon turn it around!". www.ligue1.com. 14 April 2017.
- Taiwo, Taiye (17 July 2019). "Madagascar defender Jeremy Morel leaves Lyon for Ligue 1 rivals Rennes". Goal.com. Retrieved 10 August 2020.
- "Football: Jérémy Morel retrouve son port d'attache". Réunion la 1ère (in French). francetvinfo.fr. 9 June 2020. Retrieved 10 August 2020.
- Rédaction. "Jérémy Morel (Lyon) va jouer la Coupe d'Afrique des nations pour Madagascar".
- Barrie, Mohamed Fajah (27 October 2018). "Jérémy Morel: France-born defender commits to Madagascar". BBC Sport. Retrieved 30 June 2019.
- "Madagascar v Sudan game report". CAF. 18 November 2018.
- Jérémy Morel at National-Football-Teams.com
|This biographical article related to Malagasy association football is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article related to association football in France, about a defender born in the 1980s, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|