Army of Aleppo
|Army of Aleppo|
جيش حلبParticipant in Syrian Civil War
|Leaders||Hashim al-Sheikh ("Abu Jaber")  (Emir, since December 2016 - also heads Ashida'a Mujahideen Brigade)|
|Area of operations||Aleppo, Syria|
|Allies|| Army of Conquest|
Jabhat Ansar al-Din
|Battles and war(s)||Syrian Civil War|
The Jaysh Halab (Arabic: جيش حلب, lit. 'Army of Aleppo') was a coalition of Syrian rebel groups based in rebel-held areas inside the city of Aleppo, Syria. The coalition was created by Hashim al-Sheikh, the former general commander of Ahrar ash-Sham with the intent of unifying various rebel groups in Aleppo. After the announcement, nothing was heard of the group until December 2016.
Initial member groups
The joint operations room consisted of both Sunni Islamist and Salafist factions and some Free Syrian Army groups. On its formation on 6 February 2016, the former Ahrar ash-Sham commander issued an ultimatum that ordered 15 rebel factions to join the group within 72 hours.
On 1 December 2016, during the Aleppo offensive, all rebel groups in southeastern Aleppo reportedly merged into the coalition replacing Fatah Halab in southeastern Aleppo. A new commander, Abu Abdul Rahman Noor was named. On 9 December a new emir was named, Abu Ashida'a
The 2nd iteration of the group includes:
- "Aleppo rebels rally around former Ahrar leader". Now News. 17 February 2016.
- "Factions in Aleppo announce forming the "Unified Army of Aleppo"". RFS Media Office. 1 December 2016.
- "New speech by Abu al-Abd Ashidaa, the new "emir of Aleppo" (can someone please translate?) • /r/syriancivilwar".
- "أبو العبد أشداء (@join_alfateh1) - Twitter".
- "izat on Twitter".
- "Besieged Aleppo rebels unite under new Jaish Halab banner". Al-Masdar News. 1 December 2016.
- "Aleppo Army infogrphic". Yalla Souriya. 2 December 2016.
- "Charles Lister on Twitter".
- Fadel, Leith (23 November 2016). "Four high-ranking jihadist commanders killed in Aleppo".
|This Syrian opposition-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|