Jimmy McColl (footballer, born 1892)
|Full name||James McColl|
|Date of birth||14 December 1892|
|Place of birth||Glasgow, Scotland|
|Date of death||1978 (aged 85–86)|
|Playing position(s)||Centre forward|
|1913||→ Peebles Rovers (loan)||?||(?)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
James McColl (14 December 1892 – 1978) was a Scottish footballer who played for Celtic, Hibernian and Stoke. McColl scored over 250 goals in the Scottish Football League, and was top scorer in the 1915–16 season with Celtic.
McColl was born in Glasgow and played for Anderson Thornbank and St Anthony's before joining Celtic in 1913. He became a prolific scorer in the Scottish First Division helping the Bhoys team to win the title five times in his seven seasons at Celtic Park as well as a Scottish Cup in 1913–14.
He moved to Stoke in 1920–21 to try his luck in the English game but he struggled, scoring five goals in 27 matches, and at the end of the season returned to Scotland with Partick Thistle then Hibernian. He continued his goalscoring in the Scottish League and hit 143 goals in 320 matches for the Hibees, playing alongside another former St Anthony's forward Jimmy Dunn for several seasons.
|Celtic||1913–14||Scottish Division One||17||7||4||6||21||13|
|1914–15||Scottish Division One||33||26||0||0||33||26|
|1915–16||Scottish Division One||32||36||0||0||32||36|
|1916–17||Scottish Division One||31||24||0||0||31||24|
|1917–18||Scottish Division One||14||10||0||0||14||10|
|1918–19||Scottish Division One||30||17||0||0||30||17|
|1919–20||Scottish Division One||8||0||0||0||8||0|
|Hibernian||1922–23||Scottish Division One||26||12||7||4||33||16|
|1923–24||Scottish Division One||33||21||6||1||39||22|
|1924–25||Scottish Division One||38||21||1||0||39||21|
|1925–26||Scottish Division One||31||10||3||1||34||11|
|1926–27||Scottish Division One||31||16||1||0||32||16|
|1927–28||Scottish Division One||38||26||5||1||43||27|
|1928–29||Scottish Division One||33||11||1||0||34||11|
|1929–30||Scottish Division One||31||9||3||2||34||11|
|1930–31||Scottish Division One||29||4||3||4||33||8|
- Scottish Football League First Division champions:(5) 1913–14, 1914–15, 1915–16, 1916–17, 1918–19
- Scottish Cup winner: 1913–14
- List of footballers in Scotland by number of league appearances (500+)
- List of footballers in Scotland by number of league goals (200+)
- Matthews, Tony (1994). The Encyclopaedia of Stoke City. Lion Press. ISBN 0-9524151-0-0.
- "Scotland – All-Time Topscorers". Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation. Retrieved 28 October 2008.
- "Scotland – List of Topscorers". Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation. Retrieved 28 October 2008.
- "Celtic player James McColl". FitbaStats. Retrieved 23 September 2018.
- John Litster (October 2012). "A Record of pre-war Scottish League Players". Scottish Football Historian magazine. Cite journal requires
- "Hibernian player Jimmy McColl". FitbaStats. Retrieved 23 September 2018.
- Jimmy McColl, www.ihibs.co.uk