John Carr (writer)
John Carr LL.D. (1722–1807) was a County Durham born schoolmaster and writer.
He was the son of a local farmer and was educated firstly at the village school and privately by the local curate Rev Daniel Watson, then later at St Paul’s School where he remained longer than most as his parents could not afford a place at University.
His father and mother were William and Ann Carr. He had a younger brother Joseph, who became the Rev. Joseph Carr who died in Allenheads, Northumberland 27 April 1806 aged 60 years. He also had a brother, William T. Carr, to whom he dedicated a poem in his 1807 edition.
John Carr was married (wife's name unknown), but his wife predeceased him.
Possibly his main legacy is his "Translation of Lucian" from ancient Greek language, on which he spent almost 25 years from 1773 to 1798. This was published in 5 volumes. At the time it was considered to be of great importance in the literary world, but this importance has since diminished with the appearance of other more classical translations.
Dr. Carr considered his other works to be mere trifles on which he set little value. These included :-
- Vol. III of Tristram Shandy – an imitation of the original by Laurence Sterne M.A., 1760
- "Filial Piety" a mock heroic, 1763
- Extract of a Private Letter to a Critic, 1764
- Eponi-na, a Dramatic Essay, addressed to the ladies, 1765
- Ode to the River Derwent – with its 40 verses. This appears in The Bishoprick Garland of 1834 by Sir Cuthbert Sharp
- Watt M.D, Robert (1824). Bibliotheca Britannia. pp. see page 196.
- Sharp, (Sir) Cuthbert (1834). The Bishoprick Garland (PDF). pp. see page 43.
- Chalmers, F. S. A., Alexander (1812). Chalmers’ Biography.
- John Nichols FSA (1814). Literary Anecdotes of the Eighteenth Century comprising Biographical Memories and --- Anecdotes of a considerable number of eminent writers and ingenious artists. Nichols, Son and Bentley at Cicero’s Head, Red Lion Passage, Fleet Street, London.