John P. Donohue
John P. Donohue
|Born||December 25, 1932|
|Died||September 04, 2008 (aged 75)|
Cornell Medical College
Massachusetts General Hospital (residency)
|Known for||Testicular cancer treatment|
|Institutions||Indiana University School of Medicine|
|Awards||Barringer Medal (1988)|
Distinguished Career Award (1994)
Distinguished Contribution Award (1994)
I.U. President's Medal for Excellence (1996)
Hugh Hampton Young Award (1998)
Huggins Medal (2001)
Ferdinand C. Valentine Medal
Sanctae Crucis Award (2005)
Ramon Guiteras Award (2005)
Keyes Medal (2008)
John P. Donohue, M.D. (1932–2008) was the Chairman of the Urology Department and Distinguished Professor Emeritus at Indiana University School of Medicine. He pioneered treatments for testicular cancer, including the nerve-sparing technique. His work with Dr. Lawrence Einhorn led to an increase in cure rate of testicular cancer from 5% to 90%. He studied under Wyland F. Leadbetter. He began his career as a United States Navy officer while serving as the ship's surgeon aboard the aircraft carrier USS Wasp.
Donohue graduated from Iona Preparatory School, New Rochelle, New York. He studied at Holy Cross College in Worcester, Massachusetts, graduating in 1954. He received his medical degree from Cornell University Medical College, completed initial surgical training at the New York Hospital and received his urological training at Massachusetts General Hospital. After completing his training, he moved to Indianapolis, Indiana.
Donohue served in the United States Navy reserve from July 1960 to July 1962, achieving the rank of lieutenant. He served on the USS Wasp for one year and the U.S. Naval Hospital Chelsea, Massachusetts for one year. In 1971, he became Professor of Urology and Chairman of the Department at Indiana University School of Medicine. He authored numerous articles on testicular cancer.
- American Association of Genitourinary Surgeons. The Barringer Medal.
- Société Internationale d’Urologie. SIU Award History.
- American Urological Association. Distinguished Contribution Award Archived 2010-12-04 at the Wayback Machine
- American Urological Association. Hugh Hampton Young Award Archived 2010-12-04 at the Wayback Machine
- Society of Urological Oncology. SUO Awards Archived 2009-07-13 at the Wayback Machine
- American Urological Association. Ramon Guiteras Award Archived 2010-12-04 at the Wayback Machine
- American Association of Genitourinary Surgeons. The Keyes Medal.
- Indiana University. "Five honored with Herman B Wells Visionary Award" Archived 2013-02-19 at the Wayback Machine, Indiana University website, November 15, 2001. Retrieved on January 20, 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to John P. Donohue.|