Jonathan Windy Boy
|Jonathan Windy Boy|
|Member of the Montana Senate|
from the 16th district
January 7, 2008 – 2016
|Preceded by||Frank Smith|
|Succeeded by||Frank Smith|
|Member of the Montana House of Representatives|
from the 32nd district
January 7, 2002 – January 7, 2008
|Preceded by||Joe Balyeat|
|Succeeded by||Tony Belcourt|
Assumed office |
|Preceded by||G. Bruce Meyers|
August 28, 1958|
Fort Belknap, Montana
|Children||One Daughter, One Son|
|Residence||Box Elder, Montana|
|Alma mater||Northern Montana University|
Jonathan Windy Boy (born August 28, 1958) is a Democratic Party former member of the Montana Legislature. As of 2017 he serves as Representative for District 32. He was elected in 2008 representing Senate District 16.
In 2002 he was elected to the Montana House of Representatives, representing House District 32. He has been a member of the Tribal Council of the Chippewa Cree Tribe since 1999. He was elected Chippewa Cree Tribe Vice-Chairman from 2008-2010. He comes from Box Elder, Montana, is married, with one daughter, one son, and two grandchildren. He is known as a traditional dancer, and has worked in oil field exploration, and as a drug and alcohol prevention speaker.
In 2011, he opposed changing Montana law to revoke the drivers license of any teenager caught in possession of alcohol, but agreed that any teenager with a DUI should be banned from holding a driver's license until age 18.
In 2012, he endorsed a Republican candidate, Sandy Welch, for State Superintendent of Education.
In 2013, he introduced Montana Senate bill 342, which allocates $2 million for a Montana Indian Language Preservation Pilot Program, which will "provide funding to Montana’s eight tribes to develop materials to keep their languages alive for future generations."
- "Jonathan Windy Boy (D)". Billings Gazette. 2012-05-26. Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- John Kelleher (2011-01-24). "Windy Boy opposes MIP drivers license sanctions". Havre Daily News. Havre, MT. Archived from the original on 2013-04-11. Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- Tim Leeds (2012-09-27). "Windy Boy endorses Republican Welch in superintendent race". Havre Daily News. Havre, MT. Archived from the original on 2013-04-11. Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- Wipf, Briana (2013-07-01). "Bill aids efforts to save native dialects". Great Falls Tribune. Retrieved 2013-07-03.
- Mike Dennison (2013-02-27). "Senate advances bill to help preserve Native American languages". Independent Record. Helena, MT. Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-05-07. Retrieved 2013-07-21.
- Montana House of Representatives - Jonathan Windy Boy official MT State Legislature website
- Project Vote Smart - Representative Jonathan Windy Boy (MT) profile
- Follow the Money - Jonathan Windy Boy
- Official Jonathan Windy Boy website
- Official Chippewa Cree Tribe website