Joseph L. Toth
Joseph L. Toth
|Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims|
|Assumed office |
August 9, 2017
|Appointed by||Donald Trump|
|Preceded by||Lawrence B. Hagel|
|Born||September 1973 (age 45)|
|Education||University of Chicago (BA)|
Ave Maria School of Law (JD)
|Branch/service||United States Navy|
Joseph L. Toth (born September 1973) is an American lawyer and jurist who currently serves as a Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims. He is a veteran of the Navy's Judge Advocate General's Corps.
Education and military service
Toth is a veteran of the U.S. Navy's Judge Advocate General's Corps. In 2011, he served as a field officer in Afghanistan, where he was stationed with the United States Army's 10th Mountain Division in the Zhari District. Toth partnered with Afghan prosecutors to establish the rule of law in the district where the Taliban was formed. He was awarded the Joint Service Commendation Medal.
Toth clerked for Judge Robert J. Conrad of the United States District Court for the Western District of North Carolina and Judge Daniel Anthony Manion of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
Toth served as an associate federal public defender in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims service
On June 7, 2017, President Donald Trump nominated Toth to serve as a Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims. A hearing on his nomination before the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee was held on July 19, 2017. On July 20, 2017, the committee voted to report his nomination. His nomination was confirmed by the Senate with a voice vote on August 3, 2017.
- MyLife.com profile
- "President Donald J. Trump Announces Judicial Candidate Nominations". The White House. June 7, 2017. Retrieved June 16, 2017.
- Boyer, Dave (June 7, 2017). "Trump nominates new slate of federal judges". Washington Times. Retrieved June 16, 2017.
- United States Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs: Pending Nominations for July 19, 2017
- Business Meeting: Meeting to Consider Pending Nominations – July 20, 2017, Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs
- Wentling, Nikki (August 3, 2017). "Senate confirms retired colonel as Shulkin's No. 2 at the VA". Stars & Stripes. Retrieved August 9, 2017.
Lawrence B. Hagel
| Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims