Neighborhoods of Cleveland
|• Density||5,414/sq mi (2,090/km2)|
|7.1% increase from 2000 Census|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|Source: 2000 U.S. Census, City Planning Commission of Cleveland|
Kamm's Corners is a neighborhood on the West Side of Cleveland, Ohio. It is bounded by the streetcar suburb of Lakewood to the north, the Rocky River Reservation of the Cleveland Metroparks and the suburbs of Rocky River and Fairview Park to the west, the New York Central Railroad tracks (now Amtrak) to the east, and Puritas Road to the south. Kamm's Corners Plaza and Warren Village are the major retail centers of the neighborhood. According to the 2019 U.S. census estimate, the neighborhood has the highest concentration of Irish Americans in Cleveland and Cuyahoga County.
Kamm's Corners is one of four sub-neighborhoods that comprise the larger historical neighborhood of West Park, the others being Jefferson, Bellaire–Puritas, and Hopkins. Named for early settler John West, West Park was annexed to Cleveland in 1923 and became the last large suburb to become part of the city.
The neighborhood derives its name from local merchant Oswald Kamm. Kamm emigrated from Switzerland and in 1875 he purchased four acres at the southwest corner of Lorain Avenue and Rocky River Drive. He opened a general store which also served as the local post office. The original store was torn down in 1900 and a second store was built on the same site which still stands in 2015 where Kamm's Corners is still a retail district.
- "2000 U.S. Census, City Planning Commission of Cleveland" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-05-16. Retrieved 2011-07-14.
- "Ancestry in Kamm's Corners, Cleveland, Ohio (Neighborhood)". Statistical Atlas. Retrieved May 24, 2020.
- "Kamm's Corners". The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History. Case Western Reserve University. Retrieved May 31, 2019.
- "West Park". The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History. Case Western Reserve University. Retrieved May 31, 2019.
- "Obituary of Lena Kamm Colbrunn". The Plain Dealer. February 10, 1978.
- Memorial Record of Oswald Kamm. County of Cuyahoga and City of Cleveland, Ohio (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company, 1893).
- "Early Settlers and Their Legacies: Kamm, Oswald". History of the West Park Neighborhood, Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio. June 17, 2004. Retrieved May 31, 2019.
- Pfingsten, Ralph A. (2004). From Rockport to West Park. Cleveland: John Marshall High School Alumni Association. ISBN 0-9759618-0-2.
- . Collier's New Encyclopedia. 1921.