Keisha Lance Bottoms
A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (September 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Keisha Lance Bottoms
|60th Mayor of Atlanta|
|Assumed office |
January 2, 2018
|Preceded by||Kasim Reed|
|Member of the Atlanta City Council|
from the 11th district
January 4, 2010 – January 2, 2018
|Preceded by||Jim Maddox|
|Succeeded by||Marci Collier Overstreet|
January 18, 1970
Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.
|Relatives||Major Lance (Father)|
|Education||Florida A&M University (BA)|
Georgia State University (JD)
Keisha Lance Bottoms (born January 18, 1970) is an American politician and lawyer who is the 60th and current Mayor of Atlanta, Georgia. Prior to becoming mayor, she was a member of the Atlanta City Council, representing part of Southwest Atlanta.
Early life and education
She was elected as mayor in 2017, after receiving the most votes (26 percent) in a crowded field of candidates on Election Day then defeating fellow City Council member Mary Norwood in a runoff.
Bottoms was investigated during the mayoral election for several lump payments to campaign staff totaling over $180,000 that were not properly reported, according to state law. During her campaign, In October 2017, she voluntarily returned $25,700 in campaign contributions she had received from PRAD Group, an engineering firm whose office had been raided by the Federal Bureau of Investigation the previous month. On November 4, 2017, she called on the Attorney General of Georgia to investigate fake robocalls made in her name, which her campaign said were laden with racist overtones and were made primarily in white neighborhoods of Atlanta.
- "Atlanta City Council - Regular Meeting - Jan 19, 2016" (PDF). atlantaga.gov. p. 73. Retrieved 6 December 2017.
- "Class Actions". College of Law. 2010-04-08. Retrieved 2017-11-07.
- "Keisha Lance Bottoms". Keisha Lance Bottoms. Retrieved 29 January 2018.
- "Keisha Lance Bottoms for Atlanta Mayor". Keisha Lance Bottoms. Retrieved 2017-11-08.
- FOX. "Bottoms, Norwood in runoff for Atlanta mayor". WAGA. Retrieved 2017-11-08.
- Gehlbach, Steve (2017-12-21). "Mary Norwood concedes defeat in Atlanta mayoral race". Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Retrieved 2018-01-02.
- Deere, Stephen; Klepal, Dan. "Atlanta mayoral race: Bottoms campaign disclosures under scrutiny". Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Retrieved 2018-01-14.
- "Atlanta mayoral candidate to return donation from embattled contractor". myajc. 2017-10-02. Retrieved 2017-11-07.
- "Lance Bottoms calls on Attorney General to investigate fake robocalls days ahead of election". WXIA. 2017-11-04. Retrieved 2017-11-07.
| Mayor of Atlanta