This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Kentucky State Senate|
|Kentucky General Assembly|
New session started
|January 3, 2017|
President pro Tempore
David P. Givens (R)
Since January 6, 2015
Length of term
|Authority||The Legislative Department, Section 29, Kentucky Constitution|
|Salary||$186.73/day + per diem|
|November 8, 2016
|November 6, 2018
|State Senate Chamber
Kentucky State Capitol
|Kentucky Legislative Research Commission|
The Kentucky Senate is the upper house of the Kentucky General Assembly. The Kentucky Senate is composed of 38 members elected from single-member districts throughout the Commonwealth. There are no term limits for Kentucky Senators. The Kentucky Senate meets at the Kentucky State Capitol in Frankfort.
Terms and qualifications
- be at least 30 years old;
- be a citizen of Kentucky;
- have resided in the state at least six years and the district at least one year prior to election.
Per section 30 of the Kentucky Constitution, senators are elected to four year staggered terms, with half the Senate elected every two years.
Prior to a 1992 constitutional amendment, the Lieutenant Governor of Kentucky presided over the Senate; the 1992 amendment created a new office of President of the Senate to be held by one of the 38 senators.
- President (elected by full body): Robert Stivers (R-25)
- President pro tempore (elected by full body): David P. Givens (R-9)
Additionally, each political party elects a floor leader, whip, and caucus chairman.
Current party leadership of the Kentucky Senate:
- Republican Party
- Democratic Party
(Shading indicates majority caucus)
|End of previous legislature||27||11||38||0|
|Begin 2017 Session||27||11||38|
|Latest voting share||71.05%||28.95%|
List of current Senators
Past composition of the Senate
- Kentucky General Assembly
- Kentucky House of Representatives
- Government of Kentucky
- American Legislative Exchange Council members
- "Senate: Members By District". Kentucky Legislature. Retrieved July 23, 2017.
- Oswald, Sharon (5 January 1977). "From senate to housemother, Mrs. Moore is mother of 110". The Tuscaloosa News. Tuscaloosa: The Tuscaloosa News. p. 8. Retrieved 15 March 2010.
- Kentucky Legislature Senate Members official government website
- State Senate of Kentucky at Project Vote Smart
- Kentucky Senate at Ballotpedia