Khulna University of Engineering & Technology
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (March 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
খুলনা প্রকৌশল ও প্রযুক্তি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়
|Khulna Engineering College (1967-1986)|
Bangladesh Institute of Technology (BIT), Khulna (1986-2003)
প্রভু আমায় জ্ঞান দাও।
Motto in English
|Oh Lord! Bestow me with Knowledge|
|Type||Public, Coeducational, engineering Technological|
|Endowment||$8 million (2016)|
|Chancellor||President of Bangladesh|
|Vice-Chancellor||Quazi Sazzad Hossain|
Teligati,PhulBari Gate, Khulna 9203,
|Campus||Suburban, 117.35 acres (0.475 km²) |
Khulna University of Engineering & Technology (Bengali: খুলনা প্রকৌশল ও প্রযুক্তি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়, pronounced [kʰulna prokouʃɔl o prodʒukti biʃːobiddalɔe̯]) commonly known as KUET ([kue̯ʈ]; Bengali: কুয়েট), formerly BIT, Khulna, is a public engineering university of Bangladesh emphasizing education and research on engineering and technology.
Khulna University of Engineering & Technology has a background of historical significance. Although this institution has completed an era as a university, its laying foundation began 49 years ago. This university was established in 1967 as ‘Khulna Engineering College’ under the University of Rajshahi. But during the period of the liberation war, the development activities of the Erstwhile Engineering College was suspended. After the Independence of Bangladesh in the year of 1971, the development works were started again in swing full. Overcoming all the constraints, the academic activities of the institute were virtually started from June 3, 1974 as per special direction of the Father of the Nation, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman. Despite some limitations, the college was affiliated as a faculty of Engineering under Rajshahi University. The academic and administrative activities were controlled by the university authority and the Ministry of Education, respectively. The physical infrastructures were constructed by the public works department, while teacher recruitment was accomplished through Public Service Commission. Owing to multiple authorities, the co-ordination became complicated and hence the college authority faced many problems to run it smoothly. Even the admission of new students was stopped in one session due to the scarcity of teachers. In these circumstances, through a collective effort organized by the students, teachers, officers, staff and professional bodies, the four Engineering Colleges of the country including Khulna Engineering College were converted into autonomous Institutes named Bangladesh Institute of Technology (BIT) from July 1, 1986.
BIT, Khulna became Khulna University of Engineering & Technology with the other BITs as per act passed by the National Parliament effective from September 1, 2003.
The academic division of KUET is organized in 20 departments under three faculties. Sixteen departments offer undergraduate courses. Among the Department of Industrial Engineering and Management ( IEM ) provides an Industrial and Production Engineering (IPE) degree to the undergraduate students.
- Faculty of Civil Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering ( CE )
- Department of Urban and Regional Planning ( URP )
- Department of Building Engineering & Construction Management ( BECM )
- Department of Architecture (ARCH)
- Department of Mathematics ( MATH )
- Department of Chemistry ( CH )
- Department of Physics ( PH )
- Department of Humanities ( HUM )
- Faculty of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering ( EEE )
- Department of Computer Science & Engineering ( CSE )
- Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering ( ECE )
- Department of Biomedical Engineering ( BME )
- Department of Materials Science and Engineering (MSE)
- Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering ( ME )
- Department of Industrial Engineering and Management ( IEM )
- Department of Leather Engineering ( LE )
- Department of Textile Engineering ( TE )
- Department of Energy Science and Engineering ( ESE )
- Department of Chemical Engineering ( ChE )
- Department of Mechatronics Engineering ( MTE)
Number of Student
|Department||No. of Student|
|Building Engineering and Construction Management||60|
|Electrical & Electronic Engineering||120|
|Computer Science & Engineering||120|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||60|
|Industrial Engineering and Management||60|
|Materials Science and Engineering||60|
|Urban and Regional Planning||60|
|Energy Science and Engineering||30|
There are three institutes at KUET for advanced research:
- Institute of Information and Communication Technology (IICT, KUET).
- Institute of Disaster Management (IDM, KUET).
- Institute of Environment and Power Technology (IEPT, KUET).
KUET journals and research bulletins
- Journal of Engineering Science
The admission process in KUET is highly competitive. Each year it opens about 1005 seats for undergraduate programs. About 10,000 applicants are invited to appear on an admission test. This preliminary filtration is done based on H.S.C. grade points in physics, chemistry, mathematics and English. The admission test is standardized to evaluate student ability to understand concepts of physics, chemistry, mathematics, and English language. Admission is offered to successful applicants on a merit basis, based on their scores in the admission test.
Students are admitted to a specific undergraduate academic program specializing in any of the 14 engineering tracks (e.g., CSE, EEE, ME, ECE, CE, IPE, BECM, TE, LE, URP, BME, Arch, ESE, MSE). Students may not change their track (major) once a few weeks of classes are passed.
Admission is open to mainly to Bangladeshi nationals. There are 5 reserved seats for "small ethnic group" students who have to undergo the same admission process. A few seats are also open to international students. The international admission process is separate from local admissions
Khulna University of Engineering & Technology (KUET) is at Fulbarigate, the northwest part of Khulna City (the third-largest south-western divisional city in Bangladesh). The campus is about 15 kilometers from the zero point of Khulna City.
The KUET campus covers 101 acres. It is divided into four functional zones: residential zone for students; residential zone for faculty and staff; academic zone for academic buildings and workshops; and cultural-cum-social and recreational zone for students. Being square in shape, the third zone is midway between the two residential zones to reduce walking distances.
The main academic building accommodates the teaching and research facilities. Each department is a separate entity with a courtyard around, and all the departments constitute an integrated complex. Heavy engineering laboratories are on the ground floor or other separate workshops. Light laboratories, classrooms and project rooms are on the upper floors. Separate offices for every member of the teaching staff are next to his/her laboratory.
KUET central library runs in two sections: the General Library and the Reference Library. The General Library provides in-house reading and short-time borrowing of books and other reference material. The Reference Library provides an in-place reading.
The General Library system has 50,635 books, journals and periodicals. A library automation project to modernize and to improve administrative control over the collection of books, journals, proceedings, theses, etc. has recently been completed under Higher Education Quality Enhancement Project. Moreover, the library is enriched every year by collecting recent books and journals.
Besides the general library system, each academic department maintains a rent-based library from which students can borrow textbooks at a nominal rate for the semester. Recently, KUET library has entered into a full automation system.
The on-campus, two-storied KUET Medical Center provides primary and basic health care facilities to its students free of charge. 8 full-time MBBS doctors, 2 nurses, 1 Medical Technologist, and 2 staff provide the care. For specialized consultation on complicated cases, medical center refers the patients to specialists through ambulance.
For the convenience of the students, faculties, officers, and staff KUET operates its own Shuttle Bus Service between Khulna City and the campus. On weekends special services are also provided for meeting the weekend recreational and other needs.
Central computer center
The central computer center (CCC) of KUET was established in 1988 under the supervision of the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering with six IBM desktop computers donated by BEXIMCO. To provide a fully integrated set of information support to the teaching, research and administrative functions, in 2006 it became us on independent center of KUET in a newly decorated building under the supervision of a nominated chairman from the university.
The CCC has served over the years as the hub for computer-related services in the campus with the commissioning of the university-wide network.
It has strong IT infrastructure with around 256 Mbit/s broadband line from BTCL and BdREN with 1 Mbit/s from other ISP as backup for Internet facility, routers for routing, a firewall for internet security, five high configuration server as mails server, proxy server, database server, seven midlevel configuration of workstations for other servers and backup server, a core switch, several manageable and unmanageable switches for intranet connectivity. It is planned to increase the bandwidth and to expand and renovate the optical backbone network including student halls of residence and teacher residential area secure access of the academic and research materials very soon.
Recently KUET has started a WiFi network in its Director of Student Welfare (DSW) and CCC arena for students and at the departments of Electrical & Electronic Engineering (EEE) and Electronics, Computer Science and Engineering (CSE), Communication Engineering (ECE) for teachers.
Halls of residence
There are seven residential halls (one female, six male). The administrative heads of a hall are its provost and assistant provosts. Usually, the halls have a single provost and one or more assistant provosts.
The residential halls provide facilities for the students, for example, hall library, prayer room, TV and recreational room including daily newspapers and magazines, etc. Generally, four students live in a room except for the two-seat rooms in Amar Ekushey Hall arranged for graduate students. These halls have dining rooms (Amar Ekushey Hall has two dining rooms) where monthly prepaid lunch and dinner are offered to the students.
- Bangabandhu Shiekh Mujibur Rahman Hall (named after founding leader of Bangladesh, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman)
- Amar Ekushey Hall (named in memory of martyrs of the Language Movement )
- Fazlul Haque Hall (named after the 1st Prime Minister of Bengal- Sher-e-Bangla A. K. Fazlul Huq)
- Lalan Shah Hall (named after the Lalon Fokir, Lalon)
- Khan Jahan Ali Hall (named after Muslim Sufi Saint, Khan Jahan Ali)
- Dr. M.A. Rahsid Hall (named after M. A. Rashid, the first vice-chancellor of BUET)
- Rokeya Hall (named after Begum Rokeya Social activist, writer, Muslim feminist)
KUET has a large playground at the eastern periphery of the main academic campus. It is used as venue of annual athletics competition of the university as well as cricket, football competitions. Students can access the facility all year round. KUET has tennis court in the main academic area. It also has a gymnasium near halls of residence where students can do gymnastics.
- KUET Excellence Scholarship
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarship
- Arif Ahmed Scholarship
- KUETian@Qatar Scholarship
- Dr. Naseem Uddin Scholarship
- Dr. Ramiz Uddin Mollah Scholarship
- KCC FSM Scholarship Programme
- Scholarship for PhD students from "Prime Minister's Research and Higher Education Fund"
- Scholarships from Indian Government 2019
- New Zealand Commonwealth Scholarship, 2019
- Teaching Assistantship or Fellowship
- List of universities in Bangladesh
- Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology
- Rajshahi University of Engineering & Technology
- Chittagong University of Engineering & Technology
- "About KUET". Khulna University of Engineering & Technology. Archived from the original on 6 August 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2017.
- "History". Khulna University of Engineering & Technology.
- As of July 02, 2016. "KUET sanctions Tk 60 cr budget". The Daily Observer. 2 July 2016.
- "Administration". Khulna University of Engineering & Technology.
- "বেড়েছে কুয়েটের আয়তনঃ বর্তমানে ১১৭.৩৫ একর". Engineer’s Diary (in Bengali). 2 September 2020. Retrieved 10 January 2021.
- "Departments of KUET". Khulna University of Engineering & Technology. Archived from the original on 8 August 2011. Retrieved 3 September 2016.
7. QS Asia University ranking 2019 edition