Kimberly S. Budd
Kimberly S. Budd
|Associate Justice of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court|
|Assumed office |
August 24, 2016
|Nominated by||Charlie Baker|
|Preceded by||Fernande R.V. Duffly|
|Justice of the Massachusetts Superior Court|
September 2009 – August 24, 2016
|Appointed by||Deval Patrick|
|Preceded by||Ralph D. Gants|
|Born||October 23, 1966|
|Education||Georgetown University, B.A.|
Harvard Law School, J.D.
Education and legal career
Budd received a Bachelor’s degree in English from Georgetown University, graduating magna cum laude in 1988, and a law degree from Harvard Law School in 1991. She began her legal career as a law clerk to Chief Justice Joseph P. Warner of the Massachusetts Appeals Court in 1991. She was a litigation associate at Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo before serving as an Assistant United States Attorney in the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Massachusetts. After that, she was a university attorney for Harvard University in the General Counsel’s Office. She later served as Director of the Community Values program at Harvard Business School.
Budd was previously an Associate Justice for the Massachusetts Superior Court. She was nominated to the court by Governor Deval Patrick in July 2009 and began active service in September 2009. She was nominated to the seat formerly held by Ralph D. Gants.
Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court
She was nominated to the court by Governor Charlie Baker on June 14, 2016, and confirmed by the Governor's Council on August 10, 2016. She assumed office on August 24, 2016 and was ceremoniously sworn in on November 21, 2016.
Budd teaches in MCLE and Bar Association programs, is a former adjunct instructor at New England Law, and has taught trial advocacy at Harvard Law School.
- "Supreme Judicial Court Justices".
- "Kimberly Budd, daughter of Springfield native and former U.S. attorney Wayne Budd, nominated for judgeship". July 8, 2009. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- Lannan, Katie (June 14, 2016). "Judge from Scituate among three nominees to state's highest court". The Patriot Ledger. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- "Kimberly Budd confirmed unanimously to Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court". MASSLive.com. August 10, 2016. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- "At Ceremonial Swearing In, Supreme Judicial Court Justice Budd Says, "It is through the Courts that the Rule of Law is enforced— it is the Rule of Law which stands between order and chaos."" (Press release). November 21, 2016. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
Fernande R.V. Duffly
| Associate Justice of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court
|This biography of a judge in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Massachusetts government–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|