This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Products||Image, Sound, Computing, Smartphones, Gaming, Air Conditioning, White Appliances, Home Appliances, Personal Care, Consumer Electronics|
Number of employees
Kotsovolos (Greek: Κωτσόβολος) is one of the leading electrical and electronics retailers in Greece. It started in a small neighborhood store downtown Athens in 1950 and today has a nationwide network of 90 stores, both corporate and franchise, as well as an online store, kotsovolos.gr.
It has been a member of Dixons British company of electrical goods since 2005. In addition to retail, it provides after-sales support, installation, warranty and repair services, together with business-to-business services. The company's headquarters are located in New Heraklion, Attica.
Kotsovolos started in 1950 in a regional, small shop downtown Athens. Panagiotis Kotsovolos opened an electrical appliance store on 1 Aristeidou Street. Using the motto “Everything without money”, he started selling radios and kitchen stoves with installment payments, at a time when electrical appliances were considered a necessity in any modern household.
1960s and 1970s
In the 1960s and 1970s Kotsovolos established itself among the largest retail stores of its sector. 1979 was a turning point for the company, with Marinos Paravalos taking over its management and launching the iconic slogan, “Kotovolos - New Generation - No 9 Aristeidou Street”.
By the end of the decade, Kotsovolos featured five privately owned stores.
In 1993 Kotsovolos was bought out by "Fourlis Trade S.A.". This brought a rapid expansion in its network, with 25 new stores throughout Greece.
In 1998 Kotsovolos bought out the "Radio Athinai" chain, expanding its network even further.
In 1999 the Kotsovolos entered the parallel market of the Athens Stock Exchange.
In 2004 it joined forces with the Dixons Group with new privately owned stores, as well as through a franchise system. It renovated its stores in accordance with the international standards of the Dixons group and introduces a new store concept in the market, featuring total support coverage for appliances.
In 2008 Kotsovolos entered appliance recycling, recycling tons of electrical and electronic devices within a few years.
In 2010 Kotsovolos launched the Support 360° integrated customer support umbrella of services, and introduces innovative products to the market, such as 3D TVs and Smart TVs.
In 2015, Kotsovolos celebrated its 65th anniversary with a technology exhibition at the Technopolis of Athens. Exhibits included appliances of the past and state-of-the-art appliances of the future that are not yet released in the Greek market. The Thanks to Tech annual technology exhibition was thus established. Free of charge and easily accessible to all, the exhibition presents technological innovations and devices that are not yet on the market, together with devices that have appeared only at the IFA International Exhibition.
Kotsovolos launched its first online show, "TryMe" on YouTube in 2015.
In 2016 the company presented the corporate social responsibility program "Second Home", which mobilizes those who own appliances that work but are not in use, to offer them to families in need.
In 2019, for the first time in the Greek market, Kotsovolos created the Pay Express service. It enables customers who pay by credit or debit card to complete their transaction anywhere in the store, without going through a cash register.
Kotsovolos was the first to introduce some cutting-edge products in the Greek electronics market, such as the 3D TV, the Smart TV, and the 2.75 millimeters-thick wallpaper TV. The first Apple Store in Greece was created in 2018 inside The Mall Athens branch, in accordance with Apple’s international standards. The first Samsung Hub in Greece and the fourth in Europe was inaugurated at its stores in Eleftherios Venizelos Airport. Samsung Hub featured “smart living”, simulating a modern home and inviting visitors to explore a new level of connectivity. Kotsovolos was the first to introduce Express cashiers in Greece, and in 2019 it launched the Pay Express service. The service enables customers to pay via credit or debit card at any point in the store, without having to go to a cashier.
Actions for society
Kotsovolos features an elaborate Corporate Social Responsibility program, including a series of actions and initiatives.
Through the "Second Home for the appliance you don’t need" program, the company facilitates people who have a working appliance they no longer use, to donate it to someone who needs it. The company is cooperating with 6 municipalities to make this possible and has undertaken the collection, repair, disinfection, and delivery of these appliances to families in need.
The company supports Non-Governmental Organizations on an annual basis, such as The Smile of the Child, The Ark of the World, Make A Wish Greece, and ELEPAP. It has also put in place an integrated system to receive, assess and implement contribution requests coming from single citizens or entities, or from smaller groups.
"Good Deed Day"
The "Good Deed Day" was established in 2012 and has since become an institution. Kotsovolos’ employees are divided into groups and each does a good deed collectively, as a team. They pick their good deed action depending on the need of the area they are assigned and take care of all steps from planning to execution. Actions concern supporting children, the elderly or other vulnerable groups, as well as cleaning areas, such as beaches, parks, or public buildings. The program is increasingly popular among the company's employees, attracting more participants every year.
"Better Life Challenge"
The "Better Life Challenge" innovation competition, lasting from November 2019 to March 2020, aimed at mobilizing technology professionals to create a better life through their work for people with disabilities. A judging panel of distinguished academics and experts assessed all 140 entries, guaranteeing the high quality of the results. The three winners presented innovative technology ideas that facilitated everyday life of people with disabilities. Besides the cash prizes, the winning team was also offered a master's degree scholarship from BCA College.
The company was the first to start recycling old and high energy-consuming appliances, in April 2008. To this day it has recycled more than 1,500,000 appliances, in cooperation with Appliances Recycling S.A.
At Kotsovolos, one can recycle in-store, using the special bins for appliance recycling, or at home, using the pick-up service for large appliances (fridges, stoves, washing machines, air conditioners, etc.). In addition, the company often offers special promotions, encouraging consumers to replace their old appliances with a new one at a special price.
Kotsovolos has an extensive network of more than 90 physical stores throughout Greece, an online store at https://www.kotsovolos.gr/ and a call center (+30 210 2899999).
Agia Paraskevi, Agioi Anargyroi, Agios Ioannis Rentis, Ampelokipoi, Anavyssos, Athens International Airport "Eleftherios Venizelos", Athens River West, Cholargos, Elefsina, Glyfada, Haidari, Ilioupoli, Kallithea, Keratsini, Korydalos, Menidi, Metamorfosi, Nea Erythraia, Nea Erythraia 20th km. Athens-Lamia National Road, Nea Makri, Nea Smyrni, Neo Irakleion, Pangrati, Patission Street Athens, Piraeus, Peristeri, Psychiko, Salamina, Sepolia, Stadiou Street Athens, The Mall Athens (Marousi), Vrilissia, Zografou.
And in the rest of Greece, there are 49 stores, located in:
Agios Nikolaos Crete, Agrinio, Aigio, Alexandroupoli, Argos, Arta, Chalcis, Chania, Chios, Corinth, Giannitsa, Drama, Heraklion Crete, Ierapetra, Ioannina, Kalamata, Kalymnos, Karditsa, Karpenisi, Katerini, Kavala, Kerkyra (Corfu), Kefallonia, Kozani, Komotini, Kos, Lamia, Larissa, Lefkada, Lemnos, Livadeia, Moires, Mytilene, Nafpaktos, Naousa, Patras, Preveza, Ptolemaida, Pyrgos, Rethymno, Rhodes, Rhodes International Airport, Santorini, Serres, Sparta, Trikala, Tripoli, Thiva, Veria, Volos, Xanthi.
- "Global Sustain : Dixons South-East Europe S.A." globalsustain.org. Retrieved 2020-10-05.
- "Kotsovolos Dixons uses Relational expertise to add value to retail sales". Relational. Retrieved 2020-10-05.
- "UK retailer Dixons acquires majority stake in Kotsovolos, Fotis Kollias". www.ekathimerini.com. Retrieved 2020-10-05.
- Mavrakis, Lefteris. "Kotsovolos". BNDB. Retrieved 2020-10-12.
- "History - fourlis.gr". www.fourlis.gr. Retrieved 2020-10-12.
- "In Brief | Kathimerini". www.ekathimerini.com. Retrieved 2020-10-12.
- "Investegate |Dixons Group PLC Announcements | Dixons Group PLC: 15% of Leading Greek Electricals Retailer Acquired". www.investegate.co.uk. Retrieved 2020-10-12.
- "kotsovolos.gr revenue". ecommerceDB.com. Retrieved 2020-10-12.
- "Kotsovolos Recycling Van April–May 09 | Facebook". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2020-10-12.
- "Ανακαινίστηκε πλήρως το κατάστημα Κωτσόβολος στο The Mall Athens". www.economy365.gr (in Greek). Retrieved 2020-11-05.
- "Kotsovolos 65th Anniversary Campaign". MullenLowe Athens. Retrieved 2020-10-12.
- "Thanks to Tech we were all surprised by Kotsovolos". www.linkedin.com. Retrieved 2020-10-12.
- "IFA Xtended Space". xtended.ifa-berlin.com. Retrieved 2020-10-12.
- Kotsovolos (October 1, 2015). "Try Me - Youtube".
- "Kotsovolos". Gravity The Newtons. Retrieved 2020-10-12.
- "Η Κωτσόβολος δημιουργεί την υπηρεσία Pay Express για πρώτη φορά στην Ελλάδα". iefimerida.gr (in Greek). 2019-11-19. Retrieved 2020-10-12.
- "One more astonishing concept created. This time for Samsung @Dixons". STIRIXIS Group. Retrieved 2020-11-04.
- "Kotsovolos". Gravity The Newtons. Retrieved 2020-11-05.
- "Εθελοντισμός στον Κωτσόβολο - ημέρα καλής πράξης". Kotsovolos (in Greek). 2020-01-04. Retrieved 2020-11-05.
- "Kotsovolos – Good Deed Day – 2018". CSRΝews.gr (in Greek). Retrieved 2020-11-05.
- "Kotsovolos Better Life Challenge". JNLeoussis+. 2020-01-21. Retrieved 2020-11-05.
- "Reuse and Recycling in Greece". Dixons Carphone. Retrieved 2020-11-05.
- ΚΩΤΣΟΒΟΛΟΣ. "Καταστήματα". www.kotsovolos.gr (in Greek). Retrieved 2020-09-17.
- "Athens International Airport - Retail Park". Athens International Airport. Retrieved 2020-11-18.
- "KOTSOVOLOS". Riverwest. 2017-10-17. Retrieved 2020-11-18.
- "Kotsovolos Glyfada". wikimapia.org. Retrieved 2020-11-18.
- "Kotsovolos Piraeus". CORE SA. 2017-10-05. Retrieved 2020-11-18.
- "Kotsovolos Stadiou". CORE SA. 2016-09-25. Retrieved 2020-11-18.
- Athens, The Mall. "The Mall Athens - Kotsovolos". themallathens.gr. Retrieved 2020-11-18.