|Formerly||Domei News Agency|
|Type||Nonprofit cooperative news agency|
|Headquarters||Tokyo, Minato-ku, Higashi-Shimbashi 1-chome No. 7 No. 1|
|Japan and worldwide|
|40.7 billion yen (Fiscal year ended March 2012)|
Number of employees
|1,683 (as of April 1, 2018)|
|Subsidiaries||Kyodo News International|
Kyodo News (共同通信社, Kyōdō Tsūshinsha) is a nonprofit cooperative news agency based in Minato, Tokyo. It was established in November 1945 and it distributes news to almost all newspapers, and radio and television networks in Japan. The newspapers using its news have about 50 million subscribers. K. K. Kyodo News is Kyodo News' business arm, established in 1972. The subdivision Kyodo News International, founded in 1982, provides over 200 reports to international news media and is located in Rockefeller Center, New York City.
The agency employs over 1,000 journalists and photographers, and maintains news exchange agreements with over 70 international media outlets.
Kyodo News is the only remaining news agency to transmit news via radiofax. It broadcasts complete newspapers in Japanese and English, often at 60 lines per minute instead of the more normal 120 because of the greater complexity of written Japanese.
A full day's news takes hours to transmit. Kyodo has a dedicated transmission to Pacific fishing fleets from Kagoshima Prefectural Fishery Radio, and a relay from 9VF, possibly still in the Netherlands. The frequencies formerly used by JJC radio outside Tokyo are now sent from an unknown location, using the same identification in Japanese as 9VF. They are still active and heard daily in 2017.
- Shrivastava, K. M. (2007). News agencies from pigeon to internet. Sterling Publishers Pvt. Ltd. p. 208. ISBN 978-1-932705-67-6.
- "Kyodo News names General Manager Ishikawa as new president." Kyodo News International. May 26, 2005.
- Haru Matsukata Reischauer, "Samurai and Silk: A Japanese and American Heritage", Harvard University Press, 1986, page 310
- Official news site (English)
- Official news site (traditional Chinese)
- Official news site (simplified Chinese)
- Official news site (Japanese)
- Official corporate site (English)
- Official corporate site (Japanese)
K. K. Kyodo News