May 15, 1977
|Occupation||Actress, football coach, teacher|
|Years active||2012–2014 (as actress)|
|Known for||South Beach Tow|
Early life and education
Lakatriona Brunson was born and raised in Miami, Florida. She attended Miami Northwestern Senior High School in the 1990s, where she excelled in track and field and basketball. She continued competing in college, both in track and field and as a power forward on the basketball team at Tennessee State University.
Brunson is widely known for her performances as Bernice, a tow truck operator, on the docudrama TV series South Beach Tow. The show, shown in reality TV format (although some portions are reenactments), based itself on the operations of a towing operation in southern Florida, Tremont Towing. Bernice's character traits include disposing of unruly members of the public and referring to herself in the third-person. She is known for wearing sunglasses in her TV role and otherwise, Although Tremont Towing is an actual towing company used by the city of Miami Beach for towing illegally parked cars, the show's cast were fictionalized employees.
Brunson is also a certified physical education teacher. When she was named head coach of the Miami Jackson High School football team in February 2016, she became the first female football coach in Florida. Brunson coached girls' flag football at Jackson and was an assistant coach for the girls' basketball team. Luther Campbell, known internationally as rapper Luke Skyywalker of the 1980s group 2 Live Crew, was hired as an assistant coach and was a defensive coordinator. However, he resigned his position after nine months. Brunson has known Campbell since her childhood.
Brunson has remained a resident of Miami.
- Brunson, Lakatriona (September 24, 2014). "Talking to Bernice, 'South Beach Tow' fan favorite". Miami.com (Interview). Interviewed by Madeleine Marr. Retrieved July 20, 2018.
I was born at Jackson Memorial Hospital and raised in Miami.
- Gardner, Sam (February 12, 2016). "Reality is, Lakatriona Brunson is in charge of Miami Jackson HS football". FoxSports.com. Retrieved July 20, 2018.
- Parsons, Kelly (November 22, 2016). "Florida's first female football coach turns doubters into believers (w/video)". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved July 20, 2018 – via TampaBay.com.
- Flechas, Joey (April 29, 2016). "'South Beach Tow' company hit with class action suit from MasTec family member". Miami Herald. Retrieved July 20, 2018.
- "Lakatriona Brunson is Florida's 1st female head football coach". ESPN.com. ESPN. February 9, 2016. Retrieved July 20, 2018.