Laois (Dáil constituency)
|Former Dáil Éireann|
|County council||Laois County Council|
Kildare County Council
Laois was a parliamentary constituency represented in Dáil Éireann, the lower house of the Irish parliament or Oireachtas, from 2016 to 2020. The constituency elected 3 deputies (Teachtaí Dála, commonly known as TDs). The method of election was the single transferable vote form of proportional representation (PR-STV).
History and boundaries
The Constituency Commission proposed in its 2012 report that at the 2016 general election a new constituency called Laois be created. The report proposed changes to the constituencies of Ireland to reduce the total number of TDs from 166 to 158.
It was established by the Electoral (Amendment) (Dáil Constituencies) Act 2013. The constituency incorporated all of County Laois from the previous Laois–Offaly constituency, and six electoral divisions from Kildare South.
The 2013 Act defined the constituency as:
- "The county of Laois;
- and in the county of Kildare the electoral divisions of:
- Ballybrackan, Churchtown, Harristown, Kilberry, Kildangan, Monasterevin, in the former Rural District of Athy No. 1."
|Teachtaí Dála (TDs) for Laois 2016–2020|
|33rd||2020||Constituency abolished. See Laois–Offaly.|
Note: The columns in this table are used only for presentational purposes, and no significance should be attached to the order of columns. For details of the order in which seats were won at each election, see the detailed results of that election.
2016 general election
|2016 general election: Laois|
|Party||Candidate||FPv%||Count 1||Count 2||Count 3|
|Fianna Fáil||Seán Fleming||35.1||13,626|
|Fine Gael||Charles Flanagan||21.5||8,370||9,298||9,525|
|Sinn Féin||Brian Stanley||21.2||8,242||9,562||10,092|
|Fine Gael||Thomasina Connell||10.9||4,233||4,735||5,140|
|Electorate: 63,295 Valid: 38,868 Spoilt: 352 Quota: 9,718 Turnout: 61.96%|
- Dáil constituencies
- Politics of the Republic of Ireland
- Historic Dáil constituencies
- Elections in the Republic of Ireland
- "Constituency Commission Report 2012 – Waterford – Tipperary – Laois – Offaly – Kildare area" (PDF). Constituency Commission. 21 June 2012. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "Constituency Commission Report 2012 – Introduction and summary of recommendation" (PDF). Constituency Commission. 21 June 2012. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "Electoral (Amendment) (Dáil Constituencies) Act 2013: Schedule". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "Electoral (Amendment) (Dáil Constituencies) Act 2017: Schedule". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- "General election 2016: Laois". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 20 February 2016.
- "Laois Results 2016". Irelandelection.com. Irelandelection.com. Retrieved 21 January 2020.
- "Laois Results 2016". RTÉ. Retrieved 21 January 2020.