Lawrence, St. Lawrence County, New York
The Town of Lawrence is on the eastern border of the county and is east of Potsdam.
Settlers began arriving in the region shortly after 1800, but many left permanently during the War of 1812. A state road constructed through the region in 1827 helped renew settlement of Lawrence.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 47.7 square miles (124 km2), of which, 47.7 square miles (124 km2) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) of it (0.06%) is water.
The east town line is the border of Franklin County.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,545 people, 584 households, and 433 families residing in the town. The population density was 32.4 people per square mile (12.5/km²). There were 669 housing units at an average density of 14.0 per square mile (5.4/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 98.12% White, 0.58% Native American, 0.13% Asian, 0.06% from other races, and 1.10% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.71% of the population.
There were 584 households out of which 33.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.2% were married couples living together, 9.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.7% were non-families. 20.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.65 and the average family size was 3.04.
In the town, the population was spread out with 27.6% under the age of 18, 6.4% from 18 to 24, 27.8% from 25 to 44, 26.5% from 45 to 64, and 11.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females, there were 100.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.9 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $31,715, and the median income for a family was $35,365. Males had a median income of $34,911 versus $22,375 for females. The per capita income for the town was $13,402. About 12.9% of families and 16.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 20.6% of those under age 18 and 8.5% of those age 65 or over.
Communities and locations in Lawrence
- Coteys Corner – A hamlet located at the junction of Routes US-ll and NY-llC, west of Lawrenceville on US-11.
- Deer River – A stream in the northeast part of the town.
- Fort Jackson – A hamlet, which is at County Roads 49 and 51 by the St. Regis River, is primarily in the Town of Hopkinton.
- Laverys Cornyewers – A location west of Lawrenceville on County Road 54 at the junction of County Road 55.
- Lawrenceville – A hamlet by the junction of Routes US-11 and County Roads 54 and 55 is located in the eastern part of the town by the Deer River.
- McEwens Corners – A hamlet west of Lawrenceville on Route 54.
- Nicholville – A hamlet by the St. Regis River at the junction of NY-11B and County Road 55 in the south part of the town so that a small part of the community is in the Town of Hopkinton. The settlement was originally called "Sodom."
- North Lawrence – A hamlet on NY-11C and County Road 55 near the north town line. It was first settled around 1827.
- Taylors Corners – A hamlet east of Lawrenceville by the east town line.
- Wagstaff Corners – A hamlet at the junction of County Roads 51 and 54 west of Lawrenceville.