Legislative Council of Saint Helena
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha
The Legislative Council of Saint Helena has 15 members, 12 members elected for a four-year term by popular vote and 3 members ex officio (appointed by the Governor). Members of the Council are referred to as Councillors and sometimes use the suffix "MLC" (Member of the Legislative Council), while the council itself is often referred to as "LegCo" by islanders officials.
The twelve elected members of the 2017-2021 Legislative Council are:
- Russell Keith Yon (753 votes)
- Corinda Sebastiana Stuart Essex (742 votes)*
- Derek Franklin Thomas (668 votes)*
- Brian William Isaac (631 votes)*
- Lawson Arthur Henry (568 votes)*
- Cyril Kenneth Leo (561 votes)
- Clint Richard Beard (513 votes)
- Anthony Arthur Green (476 votes)
- Cruyff Gerard Buckley (471 votes)*
- Kylie Marie Hercules (460 votes)
- Gavin George Ellick (458 votes)*
- Christine Lilian Scipio-O’Dean (392 votes)*
- An asterisk (*) denotes a sitting incumbent MLC who was duly re-elected.
Saint Helena is divided into eight districts, each with a community centre. The districts also serve as statistical subdivisions and electoral areas. Currently, all twelve elected MLCs represent the entire island as one constituency. Beforehand, there were two constituencies (electoral districts) – the East and the West, and each constituency had six Elected Members. Prior to that there were eight constituencies. The four most populated districts (i.e., Half Tree Hollow, Jamestown, Longwood, and St Paul’s) each sent two representatives to the Legislative Council. The remaining districts (i.e., Alarm Forest, Blue Hill, Levelwood, and Sandy Bay) each sent one representative each.
|Half Tree Hollow||1.6||0.6||1,140||901||984||633.2|
Speakers of the Legislative Council
|John Wainwright Newman||? – ?|
|Eric W. George||? – 2008|
|Margaret Anne Catherine Hopkins||2008 – 2013|
|Eric Benjamin||2013 – incumbent|
- "GENERAL ELECTION 2017 – RESULTS". St. Helena Government. Archived from the original on 7 August 2017. Retrieved 7 August 2017.
- St Helena Independent, 3 October 2008 page 2
- "The Parliament of St Helena - A peep into St Helena's evolving systems of government. (page 14)" (PDF). South Atlantic Media Services, Ltd. 17 August 2017. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "2008 Population Census of St Helena" (PDF). St Helena Government. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- "Census 2016- Summary Data". St Helena Government. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
|This legislature-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about Saint Helena or the British Overseas Territory of Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|