7 October 1965
Boyne, Limpopo, South Africa
|Alma mater||University of South Africa|
(Bachelor of Commerce)
SOAS, University of London
(Master of Science in Economics)
|Office||Governor of the South African Reserve Bank|
Lesetja Kganyago (born 7 October 1965) is a South African economist and central banker. He is the Governor of the South African Reserve Bank (SARB). He was appointed to that post on 6 October 2014, by Jacob Zuma, the former President of the Republic of South Africa (RSA). He assumed the Governorship of the South African Reserve Bank on 9 November 2014, following the expiry of the term of his predecessor Gill Marcus, on 8 November 2014.
Background and education
Kganyago was born in Boyne, Limpopo on 7 October 1965. He moved to Johannesburg with his mother, at the age of 18. For several semesters, he attended University of the Witwatersrand, but left before graduating. He completed his studies at the University of South Africa, in 1991, earning the degree of Bachelor of Commerce (BCom). He also holds the degree of Master of Science in Development Economics, from SOAS, University of London, obtained in 1994.  He also holds numerous certificates, and diplomas in management, economics and finance from Internationally recognized institutions, including the Wits Business School and Harvard University.
Beginning in 1996 until 1998, Kganyago served as the Director of the South African National Treasury. From 1998 until January 2004, he served as the Chief Director: Liability of the National Treasury. From January 2005 until May 2011, he was the Director-General of the National Treasury of South Africa.
In 2011, Kganyago was appointed Deputy Governor of the South African Reserve Bank, serving in that capacity from May 2011 until November 2014. Two other individuals served concurrently with him, at Deputy Governor level. On 9 November 2014, he became Governor of the South African Reserve Bank, replacing the former Governor.
From 2018 until 2020, Kganyago chaired the International Monetary and Financial Committee (IMFC), the policy advisory committee of the Board of Governors of the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
- International Monetary Fund (IMF), Chairman of the International Monetary and Financial Committee (since 2018)
- Financial Stability Board (FSB), Member of the Regional Consultative Group for Sub-Saharan Africa
- Association of African Central Bankers, Chairman
- Southern African Development Community (SADC), Chair of the Committee of Central Bank Governors
Kganyago received the 2018 Governor of the Year award at the 5th annual Central Banking Awards ceremony.
- SARB, . (2014). "About South African Reserve Bank". South African Reserve Bank (SARB). Retrieved 6 March 2015.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- Marrian, Natasha (6 October 2014). "Lesetja Kganyago Appointed New Governor of Reserve Bank". Business Day (South Africa). Retrieved 4 November 2014.
- SAGN, . (6 October 2014). "South Africa: New South Africa Reserve Bank Governor Promises Continuity". South Africa Government News (SAGN) via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 3 November 2014.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- SOAS, University of London (8 October 2014). "SOAS alumnus appointed as new Governor of the Reserve Bank of South Africa". SOAS, University of London. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- Financial Stability Board (10 June 2018). "Lesetja Kganyago: Chair of SCSI & Governor, South African Reserve Bank". Basel, Switzerland: Financial Stability Board. Retrieved 10 June 2018.
- Nyanda, Sibusisiwe (6 October 2014). "Getting To Know Lesetja Kganyago". Drum.Co.Za. Retrieved 4 November 2014.
- Donnelly, Lynley (6 October 2014). "Tough task awaits new Reserve Bank boss Lesetja Kganyago". Mail & Guardian. Johannesburg. Retrieved 10 June 2018.
- IMF (18 January 2018). "IMFC Selects South African Reserve Bank Governor Lesetja Kganyago as New Chairman". Washington, DC: International Monetary Fund (IMF). Retrieved 10 June 2018.
- IMFC Selects Sweden’s Minister for Finance Magdalena Andersson as New Chair International Monetary Fund (IMF), press release of December 17, 2020.
- Alexander Winning (July 10, 2019), South Africa central bank governor re-appointed for another 5 years Reuters.
- IMFC Selects South African Reserve Bank Governor Lesetja Kganyago as New Chairman International Monetary Fund (IMF), press release of January 18, 2018.
- Members of the FSB Regional Consultative Group for Sub-Saharan Africa Financial Stability Board (FSB).
- Central Banking (29 January 2018). "The winners of the 2018 Central Banking Awards". London: Centralbanking.com. Retrieved 10 June 2018.