Location in the district
|• Mayor||Annette Sohler (ÖVP)|
|• Total||6.89 km2 (2.66 sq mi)|
|Elevation||685 m (2,247 ft)|
|• Density||210/km2 (550/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Lingenau is located in the westernmost province of Austria, Vorarlberg, in the district of Bregenz southeast of Lake Constance at 685 meters altitude. 30.8% of the area is wooded. There are no other cadastral communities in Lingenau. It is a member of the German-Austrian joint project Naturpark Nagelfluhkette.
The municipality Lingenau borders on four other Vorarlberg communities. These municipalities, also located in the district of Bregenz, are clockwise (starting in the north): Langenegg, Hittisau, Egg and Alberschwende.
"Lindigenowe" was first mentioned in documents in 1227. It is the oldest settlement of the Vorderwald (also known as Vorderer Bregenzerwald) and belonged to the monastery estate of Mehrerau for a long time.
The Habsburgs ruled parts of Vorarlberg alternately from Tyrol and Vorderösterreich (Freiburg im Breisgau). From 1805 to 1814, Lingenau belonged to Bavaria, then again to Austria. Since the formation of the Austrian state of Vorarlberg in 1861, Lingenau belongs to Vorarlberg.
For centuries, up to the beginning of World War II, inhabitants benefitted from Bad Hohl which is located at a ferruginous spring called Maxriese.
From 1945 to 1955, Lingenau was part of the French occupation zone in Austria.
The parish church Hl. Johannes der Täufer ("John the Baptist") was built in the 19th century.
The baroque Hl. Anna chapel was built in 1722 and is made of tufa.
The wooden Gschwendtobel bridge between Lingenau and Egg over the river Subersach was constructed in 1834 by Alois Negrelli, who also worked on the Suez Canal. Given its age, the bridge is considered to be a masterpiece of engineering and carpentry.
The suspension bridge between Lingenau and Egg (over the river Subersach) is a footbridge of wire which was constructed in 1901. The bridge has a length of 57 m and is only used by walkers nowadays.
The Bregenzerwälder Käsekeller has been in Lingenau since 2002. More than 32,000 cheese wheels are stored for aging in this cheese cellar. It is an initiative of the Käsestraße Bregenzerwald to maintain small-scale agriculture and the diversity of local products in the Bregenz Forest and thus to support Vorarlberg's cheese culture. With more than 6.5 million euros, the cheese cellar is the largest investment in the Vorarlberg dairy industry ever.
The Bregenzerwald Umgang (literally "Bregenz forest walk") shows the design of 12 villages, including Lingenau, in the Bregenz Forest. By means of the landscape, public buildings, houses and everyday objects, walkers are informed about the typical Bregenzerwälder architecture style throughout the centuries.
- "Dauersiedlungsraum der Gemeinden Politischen Bezirke und Bundesländer - Gebietsstand 1.1.2018". Statistics Austria. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- "Einwohnerzahl 1.1.2018 nach Gemeinden mit Status, Gebietsstand 1.1.2018". Statistics Austria. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
- "Geschichte". Gemeinde Lingenau (in German). Retrieved 2018-08-23.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lingenau.|