List of Houston Texans first-round draft picks
The Houston Texans joined the National Football League (NFL) in 2002. The Texans' first selection as an NFL team was David Carr, a quarterback from Fresno State. The team's most recent first-round selection was Tytus Howard, an offensive tackle from Alabama State.
Every year during April, each NFL franchise seeks to add new players to its roster through a collegiate draft known as the "NFL Annual Player Selection Meeting," which is more commonly known as the NFL Draft. Teams are ranked in inverse order based on the previous season's record, with the worst record picking first, and the second worst picking second and so on. The two exceptions to this order are made for teams that appeared in the previous Super Bowl; the Super Bowl champion always picks 32nd, and the Super Bowl loser always picks 31st. Teams have the option of trading away their picks to other teams for different picks, players, cash, or a combination thereof. Thus, it is not uncommon for a team's actual draft pick to differ from their assigned draft pick, or for a team to have extra or no draft picks in any round due to these trades.
The Texans have selected number one overall thrice, David Carr in 2002, Mario Williams in 2006, and Jadeveon Clowney in 2014. The team never selected number two overall and number three overall once, Andre Johnson. No player selected by the Texans has been enshrined in the Pro Football Hall Of Fame. The Houston Texans have only once drafted two or more times in the first round, which occurred in 2004.
|Selected number one overall||On Texans active roster|
- On April 24, 2004, the Texans traded their 2004 second round pick, third round pick, fourth round pick, and fifth round pick to the Tennessee Titans for their 2004 first round pick (27th overall) and fifth-round pick.
- On April 23, 2005, the Texans traded their 2005 first round pick (13th overall) to the New Orleans Saints for their 2005 first round pick (16th overall) and a 2006 third round pick.
- On April 28, 2016, the Texans traded their 2016 first round pick (22nd overall) and a 2017 sixth round pick to the Washington Redskins for their 2016 first round pick (21st overall).
- On April 27, 2017, the Texans traded their 2017 first round pick (25th overall) and their 2018 first round pick (4th overall) to the Cleveland Browns in exchange for their 2017 first round pick (12th overall).
- "databasefootball.com – New Orleans Saints Draft History". databasefootball.com. Archived from the original on 2008-01-19. Retrieved 2007-12-12.
- "NFL Draft History: First Round by Team: Houston Texans". National Football League official Web site. Retrieved 2007-12-12.
- "Texans trade history". Houston Texans official Web site. Archived from the original on 2007-12-06. Retrieved 2008-01-10.
- "NFL Events: Draft Player Profiles - Duane Brown". National Football League Official Web site. Archived from the original on 2008-05-01. Retrieved 2008-05-06.