List of Sewanee Tigers starting quarterbacks
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is a list of every Sewanee Tigers football team quarterback and the years they participated on the Sewanee Tigers football team.
Main starting quarterbacks
1891 to 1944 (incomplete)
|Ellwood Wilson||1891||Considered the "founder of Sewanee Tigers football"|||
|Warbler Wilson||1898–1900||Luke Lea got him to Sewanee from his native South Carolina. All-Southern quarter for the "Iron Men" of the 1899 Sewanee Tigers football team.|||
|Harris G. Cope||1901||A sub on the "Iron Men." Later one of Sewanee's greatest coaches, leading it in that capacity to the 1909 SIAA title.|||
|Frank M. Osborne||1902||Previously at UNC. All-Southern; later assistant and reverend.|||
|John Scarbrough||1903–1905||All-Southern. He was a renowned punter. 2nd team All-Time Sewanee Eleven.|||
|C. Logan Eisele||1906–1907|||
|Chigger Browne||1908–1910||Weighed only 111 pounds. All-Southern. The quarter on the Sewanee All-Time Football Team.|||
|Frank M. Gillespie||1911|||
|Lee Tolley||1912–1914||All-Southern. He led the Sewanee eleven to the first defeat of rival Vanderbilt since 1909.|||
|William K. Powers||1921–1923|||
|Bill Coughlan||1922||2nd team All-Time Sewanee Eleven.|||
|George H. Barker||1924–1925||Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame. Piloted Sewanee to its last defeat of Vanderbilt.|||
|Andrew L. "Jack" Todd||1926|||
1945 to present (incomplete)
|John Shoop||1988-1990||Current offensive coordinator for Purdue.|||
- "Founder of Tiger Football Tells How". Sewanee Alumni News. 8 (1): 7. December 1941.
- "Lettermen". Sewanee Alumni News: 14–18. 1949.
- Wendell Givens (2003). Ninety-Nine Iron: The Season Sewanee Won Five Games in Six Days. University of Alabama Press. p. 30.
- "Stadium Has Harris Name" (PDF). The Sewanee Purple. November 6, 1957.
- "Brown Is All-Time Tiger Great". Sewanee Alumni News: 15. 1952.
- "Tolley's Run Won Victory". Hopkinsville Kentuckian. November 28, 1914.
- "Barker, George H."
- Melissa Isaacson (December 17, 2000). "Bears Interim Offensive Coordinator John Shoop Brings An Exhausting Work Ethic To His Job". www.chicagotribune.com. Chicago Tribune. Retrieved December 16, 2013.