List of United States lieutenant governors
The lieutenant governor is the second-highest-ranking government official in 45 of the 50 U.S. States and four territories. In those states and territories, it is the first in the line of succession in case of a vacancy in the office of governor, while in the remaining states and territories another office holds that status. Currently, 25 states elect a lieutenant governor on a ticket with the governor, while 18 states elect a lieutenant governor separately. In West Virginia, the President of the Senate, as elected by the State Senators, serves as the state's lieutenant governor. In Tennessee, the State Senators elect a Speaker of the Senate, who in turn serves as lieutenant governor. Five states do not have a lieutenant governor. In the 50 states, District of Columbia, and 5 territories, there are currently 28 Democrats, 26 Republicans and two members of third parties, one with Vermont Progressive Party and one with Puerto Rico New Progressive Party.
List of lieutenant governors by state
In the table below, "term ends" indicates the year the current lieutenant governor will leave office, or the year of the next election, whichever is first; a notation (term limits) after the year indicates that the current lieutenant governor is ineligible to seek re-election in that year. A notation of (retiring) after the year indicates that the current lieutenant governor is leaving office that year, having not sought re-election. A notation of (defeated) indicates that the current lieutenant governor was defeated for re-election.
List of lieutenant governors by territory
|Territory||Picture||Lieutenant governor||Party||Prior Offices Held||Took office||Seat up||Chosen by|
| American Samoa
|Lemanu Peleti Mauga||Democratic||American Samoa Senate||January 3, 2013||2021||Same ticket|
|Josh Tenorio||Democratic||No prior offices||January 7, 2019||2023||Same ticket|
| Northern Mariana Islands
|Arnold Palacios||Republican||Northern Mariana Islands Senate||January 14, 2019||2023||Same ticket|
| United States Virgin Islands
|Tregenza Roach||Democratic||Legislature of the Virgin Islands||January 7, 2019||2023||Same ticket|
States which do not have lieutenant governors
|State||Office||Picture||Officeholder||Party||Prior Offices Held||Took position|
|Secretary of State||Katie Hobbs||Democratic||Arizona Senate
|January 7, 2019|
|President of the Senate||Troy Jackson||Democratic||Maine Senate||December 5, 2018|
| New Hampshire
|President of the Senate||Donna Soucy||Democratic||New Hampshire Senate
New Hampshire House
|December 5, 2018|
|State Treasurer||Tobias Read
||Democratic||Oregon House||January 3, 2017|
First in the line of succession from February 26, 2019.
Secretary of State Beverly Clarno's status as
an appointee makes her ineligible for succession.
|Secretary of State||Edward Buchanan||Republican||Wyoming House Speaker||March 1, 2018|
Federal district and territories which do not have lieutenant governors
One territory, Puerto Rico, places the Secretary of State next in line for the governorship. In the District of Columbia, the Chairman of the Council of the District of Columbia is first in line of succession in the event of a vacancy in the office of Mayor of the District of Columbia.
|Office||Picture||Officeholder||Party||Prior Offices Held||Took position|
| District of Columbia
|Chairman of the Council||Phil Mendelson||Democratic||DC Councilman
Advisory Neighborhood Commissioner
|June 13, 2012|
| Puerto Rico
|Secretary of State||Elmer Román||New Progressive||December 20, 2019|
States and territories with differing party membership at the executive level
In most states or territories, the governor and lieutenant governor are members of the same political party. In the following states, the designated successor to the governorship is of a different political party than the governor:
- List of current United States first spouses
- List of United States governors
- List of current United States lieutenant governors by age
- List of female lieutenant governors in the United States
- List of minority governors and lieutenant governors in the United States
- "Executive Branch of the Several States". Thegreenpapers.com. Retrieved 2012-03-31.
- NY lieutenant gubernatorial terms begin at mid-night New Year's Day
- The Tennessee Senate elects their speaker who serves as lieutenant governor. The full title of the office is Lieutenant Governor and Speaker of the Senate.
- West Virginia Code 6A-1-4(b), as enacted in 2000, entitles the president of the West Virginia Senate to use the title Lieutenant Governor
- Mendelson was initially appointed Chairman of the Council of the District of Columbia after the position was vacated on June 6, 2012, due to the resignation of Kwame R. Brown. Brown had been charged in federal court with bank fraud and, after his resignation, was further charged in D.C. Superior Court with making an unlawful cash campaign expenditure. Mendelson was subsequently elected to complete Brown's term on November 6, 2013.