List of lagoons of Albania
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Albania has 4 main lagoons. They are listed as follows:
List of lagoons in Albania
National Park or part of a National Park
Nature Park or part of a Nature Park
Laguna e Karavastasë
|Karavasta Lagoon is the largest lagoon in Albania and one of the largest within the Mediterranean sea, located near Divjakë, central Albania. It has a surface area of 45 km2 (17.37 sq mi) and a maximum depth of 1.3 m (4 ft 3 in). Since 1994, the lagoon is part of the Divjaka Karavasta National Park to protect several ecosystems of national importance. The National Park is home to about 5% of the world population of the rare Dalmatian pelican species.|
Laguna e Nartës
|Nartë Lagoon is the second largest lagoon in Albania and one of the largest within the Adriatic sea, located near Vlorë, southern Albania. The lagoon has only one outlet channel with the sea that is increasingly blocked by marine sediments transported by coastal currents. It has a surface area of 26.7 km2 (10.31 sq mi). The Zvërnec Islands are also located within the lagoon. It is well known for hosting Greater flamingo.|
Laguna e Butrintit
|Lake Butrint is a salt lagoon with a length of 7.1 km (4.4 mi) and a width of 3.3 km (2.1 mi), with a surface area of 16 km2 (6.18 sq mi). Its maximum depth is 24.4 m (80 ft). The Vivari channel connects the lake with the Ionian Sea. The lagoon is known for housing a great variation of flora and fauna.|
Laguna e Patokut
|The Patoku Lagoon is located between the Mat and Ishëm river along the Adriatic coast of Albania in the west within the Lezhë County. It has a surface area of 4.8 km2 (1.85 sq mi). Its average depth is 0.7 m (2 ft 4 in). In addition, Patoku is part of the Patoku-Fushëkuqë-Ishëm nature park, declared in 2010 by the Government of Albania to protect its unique diversity and vegetation.|
Other lagoons include Vilun, Kunë-Vain, and Orikum.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lagoons of Albania.|
- "Assessment of environmental situation of Narta and Orikumi Lagoon, Albania". researchgate.net.
Narta is one of the largest lagoons in Albania with an area of 2670 ha.
- "Information Sheet on Ramsar Wetlands (Ris): Butrint (Albania)" (PDF). rsis.ramsar.org. p. 3.
- "Natural and human-induced environmental change in southern Albania for the last 300 years — Constraints from the Lake Butrint sedimentary record" (PDF). limnogeology.ethz.ch. p. 3.
Lake Butrint has an area of ∼1600 ha and a mean water depth of 11.4 m, with a maximum of 21.4 m.
- "Preliminary data on the macrozoobenthos of the Albanian coastal lagoons (lagoons of Patok, Karavasta, Narta)" (PDF). siba-ese.unile.it. p. 1.
- "Preliminary data on the macrozoobenthos of the Albanian coastal lagoons (lagoons of Patok, Karavasta, Narta)" (PDF). siba-ese.unile.it. p. 2.
The average depth of Patok Lagoon is 0.7 m.
- "PËR SHPALLJEN "REZERVAT NATYROR I MENAXHUAR" TË EKOSISTEMIT NATYROR-LIGATINOR TË PATOK-FUSHËKUQE-ISHËM" (PDF). mjedisi.gov.al (in Albanian). p. 1.