Inter Miami CF Stadium
|Location||Fort Lauderdale, Florida|
|Public transit||Cypress Creek|
|Owner||City of Fort Lauderdale|
|Operator||Inter Miami CF|
|Broke ground||May 8, 2019|
|Opened||March 14, 2020(expected)|
|Construction cost||$60 million|
|Inter Miami CF (MLS) 2020–2022 (expected) |
Fort Lauderdale CF (USL1) 2020–
Inter Miami CF Stadium (also known as Inter Miami Stadium) is a soccer stadium under construction in Fort Lauderdale, Florida on the site of the former Lockhart Stadium. The new 18,000-seat stadium and training facility is scheduled for future Major League Soccer club Inter Miami CF. The new stadium will be oriented north–south for soccer configuration, so the sun won't be in the eyes of the goalkeepers. The stadium will be the primary headquarters for the team and its youth academy in addition to further training grounds.
The Fort Lauderdale Strikers announced in 2016 that they were moving out of Lockhart Stadium, after which the stadium fell into a state of disrepair. In January 2019, Major League Soccer expansion team Inter Miami CF announced its intentions to pursue the Lockhart Stadium site to serve as the club's training ground for its first team, youth academy, and future United Soccer League (USL) team Fort Lauderdale CF. The development would also include an 18,000-seat stadium, which will house the USL team as well as the first team for the first two seasons while the Miami Freedom Park stadium is under construction. The Fort Lauderdale city council unanimously approved Inter Miami's bid for the Lockhart Stadium site in March 2019. In April, the Fort Lauderdale City Commission cleared Inter Miami to begin the demolition process. On July 9, 2019, the Fort Lauderdale City Commission unanimously approved a 50-year lease agreement for the Lockhart Stadium site with Inter Miami; under the terms of the agreement, the city of Fort Lauderdale will retain ownership of the property while Inter Miami will be responsible for the construction, operation, and maintenance of the new facilities.
- "Inter Miami CF To Make Historic MLS Home Debut on March 14, 2020". InterMiamiCF.com. November 13, 2019. Retrieved November 13, 2019.
- "Demolition Of Fort Lauderdale's Lockhart Underway". WFOR-TV. May 8, 2019.
- Bandell, Brian (March 14, 2019). "David Beckham wants MLS team to play initial seasons in Fort Lauderdale at Lockhart Stadium". South Florida Business Journal. Retrieved November 7, 2019.
- Barszewski, Larry; Heizer, Pedro (July 14, 2016). "Strikers leaving longtime home at Lockhart". Sun-Sentinel. Retrieved May 24, 2018.
- Boehm, Charles (April 3, 2019). "Inter Miami cleared to begin demolition of old Lockhart Stadium". MLS Soccer. Retrieved April 13, 2019.
- Boehm, Charles (July 10, 2019). "City of Fort Lauderdale approves Inter Miami stadium, training facility". MLS Soccer. Retrieved July 10, 2019.
- Borgya, Andrew (November 13, 2019). "Beckham's Inter Miami soccer stadium taking shape in Fort Lauderdale". South Florida Sun Sentinel. Retrieved November 15, 2019.