Louis VIII, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt|
Portrait of Louis VIII
by Johann Christian Fiedler
|Born||5 April 1691|
|Died||17 October 1768 (aged 77)|
|Spouse||Countess Charlotte of Hanau-Lichtenberg|
|Issue||Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt|
Prince George William of Hesse-Darmstadt
Caroline Louise, Grand Duchess of Baden
|Father||Ernest Louis, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt|
|Mother||Dorothea Charlotte of Brandenburg-Ansbach|
Louis VIII (German: Ludwig) (5 April 1691 – 17 October 1768) was the Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt from 1739 to 1768. He was the son of Ernest Louis, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt and Margravine Dorothea Charlotte of Brandenburg-Ansbach.
In 1717, he was married to Countess Charlotte Christine Magdalene Johanna of Hanau and he received Hanau-Lichtenberg as an addition to his dominions. Because of his passion for hunting, he is known as the "Hunting Landgrave" (German: Jagdlandgraf). During the Seven Years' War he stood on the side of the Emperor and received the rank of General Field Marshal.
Like his father, Louis was not a gifted economist and only his good relationship with Empress Maria Theresa and her intervention at the Imperial Court Council kept the Landgraviate from bankruptcy. However, his caring for his country is documented by the establishment of a textile house in 1742 and a state orphanage in the 1746.
- Louis IX of Hesse-Darmstadt
- Prince George William of Hesse-Darmstadt.
- Caroline Louis, Princess of Hesse, born on 11 July 1723 and died on 8 April 1783; married Charles Frederick, Grand Duke of Baden.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Louis VIII, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt.|
- Genealogie ascendante jusqu'au quatrieme degre inclusivement de tous les Rois et Princes de maisons souveraines de l'Europe actuellement vivans [Genealogy up to the fourth degree inclusive of all the Kings and Princes of sovereign houses of Europe currently living] (in French). Bourdeaux: Frederic Guillaume Birnstiel. 1768. p. 67.
- Die Geschichte Hessens, Gerd Bauer, Heiner Boencke, Hans Sarkowicz; Eichborn, 2002, p. 193-194
Louis VIII, Landgrave of Hesse-DarmstadtBorn: 5 April 1691 Died: 17 October 1768
| Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt
|This article about a member of the German nobility is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|