Luís Pinto de Soveral, 1st Marquis of Soveral
Barbara Tuchman, The Proud Tower, p.283, The Macmillan Company, New York City, 1962, available here https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.214565
Joining the diplomatic service, he was an attaché and Secretary of Legation at Vienna, Berlin, and Madrid. He was First Secretary at the London Embassy in 1885 and advanced to the rank of Minister in 1891. He was a Counsellor of State, and served as Minister of Foreign Affairs from 1895 to 1897.
In 1897 he was made an Honorary Knight Grand Cross of the British Order of St Michael and St George, and later that year was appointed Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary to the Court of St James's. Soveral was a friend of the Prince of Wales (later Edward VII) and a prominent member of the "Marlborough House set"., the group of aristocratic and other friends of Edward when Prince of Wales who were regarded as leading fashionable society, at a time when the royal court of Queen Victoria was sober and domestic in tone. He was Ambassador Extraordinary for Edward VII's coronation and was made an Honorary Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order in 1902. He was Ambassador Extraordinary to the Second Hague Conference in 1907. His tenure as Portuguese Minister in London ended in 1910, when the Revolution of 5 October overthrew the Portuguese monarchy.
- Jane Ridley, ‘Marlborough House set (act. 1870s–1901)’, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press. accessed 4 March 2012
- Luis Maria Augusto Pinto de Soveral, 1º marquês de Soveral at geneall.net. Accessed 4 March 2012
- Lowndes Marques, Paulo (2009). "The Marquis of Soveral". British Historical Society of Portugal Annual Report. 36: 101–129. Retrieved 25 February 2020.
- ‘DE SOVERAL’, Who Was Who, A & C Black, 1920–2008; online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2007 accessed 4 March 2012
- "No. 26813". The London Gazette. 12 January 1897. p. 185.
- "No. 27510". The London Gazette. 30 December 1902. p. 8967.
- Lowndes Marques, Paulo (2009). O Marquês de Soveral : seu tempo e seu modo. Lisbon: Editora Texto. ISBN 978-9724740713.
|This article about a Portuguese politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|