|• Total||366.92 km2 (141.67 sq mi)|
|• Density||809/km2 (2,100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+6 (BST)|
|Website||Official website of Madhupur|
As of the 2011 Bangladesh census, Madhupur has a population of 296,729. Males constitute 51.13% of the population, and females 48.87%. Madhupur has an average literacy rate of 41.2% (Male-42.7% & Female-39.7)
Land use Total land cultivable 32900 hectares, fallow land 2000 hectares; land under irrigation 65%.
Value of land The market value of the land of the first grade is Tk 10000 per 0.01 hectare. Main crops are paddy, jute, wheat, cotton, potato, patal, ginger, betel leaf, kasava and vegetables. Extinct and nearly extinct crops Indigo, varieties of pulses and aman paddy. Main fruits are mango, jackfruit, litchi, papaya, pineapple and olive.
Fisheries, dairies, poultries Fishery 18, dairy 28, poultry 103, hatchery 1. Communication facilities Roads: pucca 150 km, semi pucca 19 km; waterways 32 nautical mile. Traditional transport Palanquin (extinct).
Manufactories Silk mill 1, rice and flour mill 53, ice factory 17, lathe & welding 63, saw mill 109, bakery 7 and bidi factory 1.
Cottage industries Weaving 27, goldsmith 103, blacksmith 26, bamboo work 320, potteries 43, wood work 42, tailoring 216; apiculture by private initiative. Hats, bazars Hats and bazars are 45, most noted of which are Madhupur, Dhanbari and Garo Hat; fairs 3 (Sholakudi Mela, Dhanbari Baishakhi Mela & Dhalpur Boishakhi Mela).
The main exports are pineapple, silk, cotton, jackfruit and honey. NGO activities Operationally important NGOs are brac, asa, Proshika and caritas, World Tourist Mission, Family and Child Welfare Centre, World Vision Bangladesh.
Madhupur Upazila is divided into Madhupur Municipality and six union parishads: Alokdia, Arankhola, Ausnara, Golabari, Mirzabari, and Sholakuri. The union parishads are subdivided into 111 mauzas and 180 villages.
Madhupur Municipality is subdivided into 9 wards and 23 mahallas.
- Gangair Ahammad Ali Memorial High School
- Courpus Christy primary School and High School
- Madhupur Shahid Smrity Higher Secondary School
- Alokdia High School
- Madhupur College
- Madhupur Rani Bhabani Model High School
- Madhupur Bahumukhi Model Technical Institute
- Edric Baker, medical doctor, ran a low cost health clinic in the upazila from 1996 until his death in 2015.
- Jalchatra Bazaar, Bangladesh
- Madhupur, Bangladesh
- Upazilas of Bangladesh
- Districts of Bangladesh
- Divisions of Bangladesh
- Abedin, Joinal (2012). "Madhupur Upazila". In Islam, Sirajul; Jamal, Ahmed A. (eds.). Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- "Community Report: Tangail" (PDF). Population & Housing Census 2011. Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-12-02. Retrieved 2017-06-18.
- "Pineapple growers demand processing centre in Madhupur". The Independent. Dhaka. July 22, 2015. Retrieved January 16, 2016.
- "District Statistics 2011: Tangail" (PDF). Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. Archived from the original (PDF) on 23 July 2014. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- Shakil, Mirza (2 September 2015). "Doctor for the poor no more". The Daily Star.