Garner with the Washington Redskins in 2017
|Born:||March 11, 1992|
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||239 lb (108 kg)|
|High school:||Brashear (PA)|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
|Player stats at PFR|
Manasseh Sylvester Garner (born March 11, 1992) is an American football tight end who is currently a free agent. He played college football at Wisconsin before transferring to Pitt. He was originally signed as an undrafted free agent by the Kansas City Chiefs.
- 1 High school career
- 2 College career
- 3 Professional career
- 4 Personal life
- 5 References
- 6 External links
High school career
Garner attended Brashear High School in the Beechview neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. As a senior, he recorded 27 receptions for 540 yards and 10 touchdowns. He also recorded 60 tackles, six sacks, two blocked punts, and two interceptions on defense. For the season he was an All-State Class AA selection by the Pennsylvania Sports Writers as an all-purpose player. He was also named Pennsylvania Football News All-Class AAA and Pittsburgh Post-Gazette City League Player of the Year.
While at Brashear he recorded 83 receptions for 1,267 yards and 21 touchdowns on offense and 149 tackles, 10 sacks and four interceptions on defense, for his career. He was also a two-time team captain and team Most Valuable Player (MVP). He was ranked Pennsylvania's 18th overall prospect by Scout.com, 24th by SuperPrep and 35th by Rivals.com. He was also selected to play in the Big 33 Football Classic. He was also an honor roll student.
Garner then attended the University of Wisconsin–Madison where he was a wide receiver for the Badgers. As a true freshman in 2010, he appeared in 10 games. He played at defensive end, wide receiver and on kick coverage. He recorded 10 tackles for the season. As a sophomore in 2011, he appeared in 10 games. He recorded two receptions for 45 yards.
In 2012, Garner transferred to Pitt, where he had to sit out the season due to NCAA rules. In 2013, as a redshirt junior, Garner appeared in all 13 games, with five starts. He played at tight end and H-back but also at wide receiver, after starter Devin Street was injured. For the season, he recorded 33 receptions for 391 yards and three touchdowns. As a redshirt senior in 2014, he appeared in eight games, with nine starts at wide receiver opposite Tyler Boyd. For the season, he recorded 17 receptions for 201 yards and two touchdowns. While at Pitt, he majored in social sciences.
|2012||PITT||Not eligible due to NCAA transfer rules|
|Ht||Wt||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 2 in
|4.76 s||1.63 s||2.72 s||4.47 s||7.12 s||30 1⁄2 in
|9 ft 10 in
|All values from Pitt Pro day.|
Kansas City Chiefs
Garner signed with the Brooklyn Bolts, a member of the Fall Experimental Football League. Because of his experience as a fullback, Garner served as a hybrid player in the Bolts backfield. Over the course of the 2 game FXFL season, Garner recorded 17 rushes for 57 yards and a touchdown, plus 4 catches for 15 yards and another score. Garner's two touchdowns accounted for one third of the touchdowns scored by the Bolts that season.
Buffalo Bills (second stint)
On October 5, 2016 Garner was signed to the Bills practice squad. On October 21, he was promoted to the Bills active roster. He was released on October 28 and was re-signed to the practice squad on October 31, 2016.
In April, Garner participated in The Spring League, a startup developmental league. Garner was invited to a tryout with the Washington Redskins. On May 15, 2017, Garner was officially signed by Washington. On September 2, 2017, Garner was waived by the team and was signed to the practice squad the next day. He was promoted to the active roster on December 27, 2017.. On August 9, 2018, Garner injured his ACL during the first pre-season game, which ended his season. He was waived on June 6, 2019.
Kansas City Chiefs (second stint)
- "Manasseh Garner bio". PittsburghPanthers.com. Retrieved November 4, 2016.
- Mulhern, Tom (August 24, 2012). "UW football: Garner to transfer to Pitt". Madison.com. Retrieved November 4, 2016.
- "Manasseh Garner, DS #16 FB, Pittsburgh". NFLDraftScout.com. Retrieved November 4, 2016.
- Thorman, Joel (May 11, 2015). "Kansas City Chiefs sign 11 undrafted free agents". ArrowheadPride.com. Retrieved November 4, 2016.
- "Chiefs sign 4 players, waive 3 others after rookie minicamp". FoxSports. May 19, 2015. Retrieved November 4, 2016.
- Pokorny, Chris (August 9, 2015). "Browns Sign TE Manasseh Garner, DB Joe Rankin; Waive 2 Players". DawgsByNature. Retrieved November 4, 2016.
- Bouda, Nate (August 22, 2015). "Browns Sign TE Anthony Ezeakunne, Waive TE Manasseh Garner". NFLTradeRumors.co. Retrieved November 4, 2016.
- "Bills Promote CBs Bud Noel & Sammy Seamster, Sign Two To PS". December 30, 2015. Retrieved January 6, 2017.
- "Broncos Sign 3 Players To Futures Deals Including OT Darrion Weems". January 13, 2016. Retrieved January 6, 2017.
- Mason, Andrew (August 29, 2016). "Broncos part ways with 11 as 75-man deadline nears". DenverBroncos.com. Retrieved January 6, 2017.
- Brown, Chris (October 5, 2016). "Bills add TE to practice squad". BuffaloBills.com. Retrieved November 4, 2016.
- Brown, Chris (October 21, 2016). "Shaq Lawson added to active roster; to make NFL debut Sunday". BuffaloBills.com. Retrieved January 6, 2017.
- Brown, Chris (October 28, 2016). "Bills elevate TE Christian to the 53-man roster". BuffaloBills.com. Retrieved January 6, 2017.
- Czarda, Stephen (May 15, 2017). "Redskins Sign Cornerback Tevin Homer, Tight End Manasseh Garner". Redskins.com.
- "9/2: Redskins Make Roster Moves". Redskins.com. September 2, 2017.
- Czarda, Stephen (September 3, 2017). "Redskins Sign Seven Players To The Practice Squad". Redskins.com. Archived from the original on February 1, 2018. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Czarda, Stephen (December 27, 2017). "Redskins Sign Manasseh Garner To The Active Roster". Redskins.com.
- "Guice, Garner to Miss 2018 Season Due to ACL Injuries". Redskins.com. August 10, 2018.
- "Redskins Sign Third-Round Draft Pick Terry McLaurin". Redskins.com. Retrieved June 6, 2019.
- Crabtree, Curtis (August 13, 2019). "Chiefs add Manasseh Garner, waive Josh Caldwell". Pro Football Talk. NBC Sports.
- "Chiefs Roster Down to NFL-Mandated 53". Chiefs.com. August 31, 2019.