Margherita, Archduchess of Austria-Este
|Dowager Archduchess of Austria-Este|
Princess Margherita on 30 August 1953 cover of Epoca
|Born||7 April 1930|
Palace of Capodimonte, Naples, Kingdom of Italy
(m. 1953; died 1996)
|Issue||Archduchess Maria Beatrice|
Prince Lorenz, Archduke of Austria-Este
|Father||Amedeo, 3rd Duke of Aosta|
|Mother||Princess Anne d'Orléans|
|Italian royal family|
|House of Habsburg-Lorraine|
|Francis I (Francis II, Holy Roman Emperor)|
|Franz Joseph I|
Margherita, Dowager Archduchess of Austria-Este (née Princess Margherita of Savoy-Aosta; born 7 April 1930) is the first-born child of the late Amedeo, 3rd Duke of Aosta, and Princess Anne d'Orléans.
Marriage and issue
Margherita's family announced her engagement to Robert, Archduke of Austria-Este on 20 October 1953. They married on 29 December 1953 in Bourg-en-Bresse, Ain, France (civilly) and 29 December 1953 (religiously), in Brou, France. He was the second son of former Emperor Charles I of Austria and Zita of Bourbon-Parma. Robert was 38, and Margherita was 23. As the royal couple arrived for the first ceremony, hundreds of Austrians and Italians stood outside the town hall where the marriage was held. The wedding was also attended by former King Umberto II of Italy and Robert's older brother Otto of Habsburg, the claimant to the Austrian throne. At six feet tall, Margherita was, according to some witnesses, an impressive sight. She wore an ivory gown made out of satin with a long train hung from a diamond tiara.
The couple took up residence in Paris, where Robert was a bank clerk. They had five children:
- Archduchess Maria Beatrice Anna Felicitas Zita Charlotte Adelheid Christina Elisabeth Gennara (11 December 1954). Married Count Riprand of Arco-Zinneberg, a great-grandson of the last Bavarian king, Ludwig III, and has issue. They have six daughters, including Olympia von und zu Arco-Zinneberg, who is married to Jean-Christophe, Prince Napoléon.
- Archduke Lorenz Otto Carl Amadeus Thadeus Maria Pius Andreas Marcus d'Aviano (16 December 1955), created Prince of Belgium on 10 November 1995. Married 22 September 1984 at Brussels, Princess Astrid of Belgium (b. 1962). They have five children.
- Archduke Gerhard Thaddäus Anton Marcus d'Aviano Maria Umberto Otto Carl Amadeus (30 October 1957) who wed in 2015 Iris Jandrasits (1961);
- Archduke Martin Carl Amadeo Maria (21 December 1959). Married Princess Katharina of Isenburg-Birstein. They have four children.
- Archduchess Isabella Maria Laura Helena Antonia Zita Anna Gennara (2 March 1963). Married Andrea Czarnocki-Lucheschi. They have five children.
Titles, styles and honours
Titles and styles
- 7 April 1930 – 29 December 1953: Her Royal Highness Princess Margherita of Savoy-Aosta
- 29 December 1953 – 7 February 1996: Her Imperial and Royal Highness The Archduchess of Austria-Este
- 7 February 1996 – present: Her Imperial and Royal Highness The Dowager Archduchess of Austria-Este
|Ancestors of Margherita, Archduchess of Austria-Este|
- "Italian Princess Engaged", The New York Times, Lyon, France, 21 October 1953
- "Italian Princess Wed to Archduke", The New York Times, Lyon, France, 29 December 1953
- "Royal Church Nuptials", The New York Times, Bourg-En-Bresse, France, 30 December 1953