Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020
|Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020|
Icon artwork, depicting Mario (left) and Sonic (right) in the New National Stadium
|Developer(s)||Sega Sports R&D|
|Series||Mario & Sonic|
|Engine||Hedgehog Engine 2|
|Platform(s)||Arcade, Nintendo Switch|
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020[a] is an upcoming 2019 sports video game based on the 2020 Summer Olympics. It is the sixth installment in the Mario & Sonic series, a crossover between Nintendo's Super Mario and Sega's Sonic the Hedgehog franchises, and the first since the Rio 2016 Olympic Games edition. It is scheduled for worldwide release in November 2019 on Nintendo's Switch console, and for arcade cabinets sometime in 2020.
Like previous Mario & Sonic titles, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 is a sports game featuring a crossover cast of characters from Nintendo's Super Mario and Sega's Sonic the Hedgehog series. The player, using one of the characters, competes in a multitude of events based on sports from the Olympic Games. The game features a variety of events; returning ones from previous Mario & Sonic titles include boxing, soccer, swimming, and gymnastics, while new ones include karate, skateboarding, sport climbing, and surfing.
In October 2016, Sega announced it had secured the licensing rights from the International Olympic Committee to publish video games based on the 2020 Summer Olympics, with plans for games to be released on various devices. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 was announced alongside Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 - The Official Video Game on March 29, 2019, at the Sega Fes stage show in Japan. It will be the first Mario & Sonic game since the Rio 2016 Olympic Games edition for the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, and is scheduled to be released worldwide for the Switch in November 2019 and for arcade cabinets sometime in 2020. A companion game for Android and iOS, Sonic at the Olympic Games, will also be released in 2020. The game was featured at E3 2019.
- Romano, Sal (March 29, 2019). "Sega announces four Tokyo 2020 Olympics games". Gematsu.
- Sarkar, Samit (June 11, 2019). "See Yoshi and Knuckles skateboarding in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020". Polygon.
- Doolan, Liam (March 29, 2019). "Sega Announces Mario & Sonic At The Tokyo 2020 Olympics For Nintendo Switch". Nintendo Life.
- Makuch, Eddie (October 27, 2016). "Sega Making Video Games for 2020 Summer Olympics". GameSpot.
- Wong, Alistar (March 30, 2019). "Sega Celebrates Tokyo Olympics With Four Different Games, Including Sonic Smartphone Game". Siliconera.
- Theriault, Donald (March 29, 2019). "Sega Announces Pair Of 2020 Olympic Games". Nintendo World Report.
- Craddock, Ryan (June 7, 2019). "Sega will feature Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games 2020, Mega Drive Mini and more at E3". Nintendo Life. Retrieved June 7, 2019.