This biography of a living person includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (February 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||September 2, 1980 (age 39)|
Florham Park, New Jersey, U.S.
|Genres||Jazz, Rock, Indie Rock|
|Associated acts||Heernt, Avishai Cohen, David Bowie, Meshell Ndegeocello, Gretchen Parlato, Jason Lindner, Lionel Loueke, Dhafer Youssef, Tigran Hamasyan, Matisyahu, Phronesis|
Mark Guiliana (born September 2, 1980) is a Grammy-nominated American drummer, composer and leader of the band Beat Music. He is known for his playing with Avishai Cohen, Brad Mehldau, David Bowie, Meshell Ndegeocello, Gretchen Parlato, Jason Lindner, Lionel Loueke, Dhafer Youssef, Tigran Hamasyan, Matisyahu, the European piano trio Phronesis and his own band, Heernt.
Mark Guiliana is a drummer, composer, educator, producer and founder of Beat Music Productions, through which he released My Life Starts Now and Beat Music: The Los Angeles Improvisations as a bandleader.
His conceptual approach to the instrument is also featured in Mehliana, the electric duo featuring Brad Mehldau on keyboards and synthesizers. The group's debut album, Taming the Dragon (Nonesuch), was released in early 2014.
Over the past decade, Guiliana's extensive touring has taken him across six continents with artists including Meshell Ndegeocello, Gretchen Parlato, Avishai Cohen, Matisyahu, Lionel Loueke, Now vs. Now, Dhafer Youssef, Beat Music and Heernt. He has also appeared on over 30 recordings to date, including Blackstar, David Bowie's final album.
Guiliana was described by The New York Times as “a drummer around whom a cult of admiration has formed,” while Time Out wrote, "What happens when you add hard bop drum masters Elvin Jones and Art Blakey to a 1980s Roland 808 drum machine, divide the result by J Dilla and then multiply to the power of Squarepusher? Answer: Mark Guiliana."
Awards and honors
- EP (2010)
- Beat Music (2012)
- A Form of Truth (2013)
- BEAT MUSIC The Los Angeles Improvisations (2014)
- My Life Starts Now (2014)
- Family First (2015)
- Jersey (2017)
- Beat Music! Beat Music! Beat Music! (2019)
- Locked in a Basement (Razdaz Recordz, 2006) recorded in 2005
With Brad Mehldau
As a sideman
With David Bowie
With Matt Cameron
- Cavedweller (2017)
With Avishai Cohen
- Lyla (2003)
- At Home (Avishai Cohen album)|At Home (2004)
- Continuo (2006)
- As is...Live at the Blue Note (2007)
- Gently Disturbed (2008)
- Sha'ot Regishot (2008)
With Dave Douglas
With Aaron Dugan
- Theory of Everything (2010)
With Janek Gwizdala
- It Only Happens Once (2012)
With Dumpster Hunter
- Frustration in Time Travel (2013)
With Jason Lindner ("Now VS Now")
- Now VS Now (2009)
- Earth Analog (2013)
With Lionel Loueke
- Heritage (Lionel Loueke album)|Heritage (2012)
- Akeda (2014)
With Donny McCaslin
- Perpetual Motion (2011)
- Casting for Gravity (2012)
- Fast Future (2014)
- Beyond Now (2016)
With Chris Morrissey
- North Hero (2013)
With Gretchen Parlato
- Live in NYC (2013)
- Alive (2010)
With Brad Shepik
- Across the Way (2011)
- Mob of Unruly Angels (2010)
With Young Astronauts Club
- Montréal (Mark Guiliana Mixes) (2015)
With Dhafer Youssef
- Abu Nawas Rhapsody (2010)
With Daniel Zamir
- Song for Comfort (2012)
- "Jazz Studies & Performance : Alumni". www.wpunj.edu. Retrieved 2020-01-27.
- "Track by Track: Mark Guiliana on David Bowie's Blackstar". Modern Drummer Magazine. 2016-02-26. Retrieved 2020-01-27.
- "Blue Note MARK GUILIANA'S BEAT MUSIC - LABEL LAUNCH / RECORD RELEASE SHOW - 2014-09-08".
- "A Duo Face Off While Staying on the Same Page". The New York Times. 24 January 2014.
- Kato, Yoshi (July 2016). "25 for the Future / Mark Guiliana". DownBeat. Vol. 83 no. 7. Chicago. p. 38. Retrieved 2020-03-07.
- "Locked in a Basement". Razdaz Recordz. Retrieved 2020-03-07.