Payton with the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders in 2016
|Cincinnati Reds – No. 34|
|Born: December 7, 1991|
Orland Park, Illinois
Mark D. Payton (born December 7, 1991) is an American professional baseball outfielder for the Cincinnati Reds of Major League Baseball (MLB). He was drafted by the New York Yankees in the seventh round of the 2014 MLB draft.
Payton was first drafted by the Minnesota Twins in the 31st round of the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft out of St. Rita of Cascia High School in Chicago, Illinois. He did not sign with the Twins and went on to play college baseball at the University of Texas at Austin for the Longhorns. While at Texas, he had a Big-12 record 101 straight games getting on base. After his junior season he was drafted by the Cleveland Indians in the 16th round of the 2013 MLB Draft, but did not sign and returned to Texas for his senior season. In 2013, he played collegiate summer baseball with the Cotuit Kettleers of the Cape Cod Baseball League. Payton played in 234 games during his four-year college career, batting .318/.425/.444 with seven home runs.
New York Yankees
Payton was then drafted by the New York Yankees in the seventh round of the 2014 Major League Baseball Draft. He signed and spent 2014 with both the Charleston RiverDogs and Tampa Yankees, slashing .320/.418/.497 with four home runs over 48 total games. In 2015, he played for both Tampa and the Trenton Thunder, batting a combined .267/.346/.368 with six home runs and 52 RBIs, and in 2016, he played for Tampa, Trenton, and the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders, batting a combined .282/.358/.423 with ten home runs and 62 RBIs. Payton spent 2017 with Trenton and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, batting .256/.313/.389 with six home runs and 23 RBIs in 94 total games.
Payton played for the AAA Las Vegas Aviators in 2019, batting .334/.400/.653 with 80 runs, 30 home runs, and 97 RBIs (8th in the Pacific Coast League) in 395 at bats. He was the PCL Player of the Week on July 14. He played for the United States national baseball team in the 2019 WBSC Premier 12 tournament in November 2019.
- "Mark Payton will likely be drafted ionto MLB Thursday, June 6". chicagotribune.com.
- "The Inside Scoop: St. Rita baseball player Mark Payton commits to Texas". blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com.
- "Disabato: St. Rita grad Mark Payton a big hit at Texas". suntimes.com.[permanent dead link]
- Ex-St. Rita Star Mark Payton Extends On-Base Streak to 100 Games With Homer Archived 2014-11-01 at the Wayback Machine
- "Mark Payton, Nathan Thornhill decisions paved way for the Longhorns to reach College World Series". The Dallas Morning News. 13 June 2014.
- "Texas Longhorns outfielder Mark Payton will return for his senior season". The Dallas Morning News. 12 July 2013.
- "#2 Mark Payton". pointstreak.com. Retrieved January 9, 2020.
- Bryan Hoch (June 6, 2014). "Yanks select Texas outfielder Payton in seventh round". MLB.com. Retrieved November 11, 2019.
- AndrewMiller. "RiverDogs outfielder Mark Payton thankful he returned to Texas for senior season". The Post and Courier.
- "Mark Payton Stats, Highlights, Bio". MiLB.com. Retrieved March 25, 2018.
- "2018 Rule 5 Draft results: Pick-by-pick". MLB.com. December 13, 2018. Retrieved November 11, 2019.
- Jordan Wolf (November 22, 2019). "Brown, Payton pilot polished A's pack". MiLB.com. Retrieved November 22, 2019.
- "Mark Payton College & Minor Leagues Statistics & History". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved 2019-11-10.
- "Mark Payton Stats, Highlights, Bio". MiLB.com. Retrieved 2019-11-10.
- "USA Baseball Names Premier12 Roster". USA Baseball. October 10, 2019. Retrieved October 13, 2019.
- "Tigers take RHP Rony Garcia from Yankees with top pick in Rule 5 draft". ESPN.com. December 12, 2019. Retrieved December 12, 2019.