Lowton playing for Aston Villa in 2013
|Full name||Matthew John Lowton|
|Date of birth||9 June 1989|
|Place of birth||Chesterfield, England|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Playing position||Right back|
|2008||→ Sheffield (loan)|
|2009||→ Ferencváros (loan)||5||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 20:01, 13 May 2019 (UTC)|
Matthew John Lowton (born 9 June 1989) is an English professional footballer who plays for Premier League club Burnley. He can play in a number of defensive positions but is a natural right-back.
Born in Chesterfield, Derbyshire, Lowton joined Sheffield United's academy in 2004. He spent time on loan with both non-league Sheffield and Hungarian side Ferencváros before making the break into United's first team in 2010. He played regularly for two seasons before being sold to Aston Villa in 2012. After three seasons and 72 Premier League appearances, he joined Burnley in 2015.
Lowton was born in Chesterfield, Derbyshire. He joined Sheffield United aged fifteen after a spell with Leeds United and progressed through Sheffield United's youth set up to reserve level, converting from a full-back to a central defensive role in the process. After spending a spell on loan at Sheffield FC in 2008, in January 2009, Lowton went out on loan to Sheffield United's Hungarian sister club Ferencváros, along with fellow reserve player Sam Wedgbury, to get first-team experience. He made his debut in the Hungarian League Cup the next month, making eighteen appearances before returning to United towards the end of the season.
Back in the Championship, Lowton found himself on the fringes of the first team and duly made his Blades debut in a 1–1 draw with Cardiff City at the end of March 2010, coming on as a late substitute, before making his full debut for the club in the final match of the season.
The following season, Lowton started Sheffield United's opening day fixture, away to Cardiff City, but was issued with a straight red card. Despite this setback, he returned to the first-team picture and was rewarded with a new contract at the end of September. Lowton continued a run of substitute appearances and rewarded United's faith by scoring his first senior goal in mid-October, netting in a 3–3 home draw with Burnley. Lowton played regularly for the remainder of the season, scoring four goals in all, but couldn't prevent the club from slipping to relegation.
With the Blades in League One at the time, Lowton remained a key player and was rewarded with an extended contract in August 2011, making 55 appearances in total for the Blades during the following season and scoring six goals.
Lowton completed a move to Aston Villa in July 2012 for an undisclosed fee, believed to be £3 million, becoming Paul Lambert's second signing as Villa manager, and made his debut on 18 August 2012, in the Premier League against West Ham United. On 15 September, Lowton scored his first league goal for Villa in a 2–0 home win against Swansea City. On 19 July 2013, Lowton signed a new four-year deal to keep him at Aston Villa until the summer of 2017.
On 22 June 2015, Burnley secured the signing of Lowton on a three-year deal for an undisclosed fee believed to be around £1 million plus add-ons. Lowton made his debut for Burnley on 20 October, as an 84th-minute substitute against Nottingham Forest; his first start came against Charlton Athletic on 19 December. His first and only goal of the season was Burnley's fourth in a 5–0 rout of Milton Keynes Dons on 12 January 2016. Lowton would make 27 appearances in his maiden season at Burnley, all in the League, as Burnley won the Football League Championship title and earned promotion to the Premier League.
- As of match played 12 May 2019
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
|Ferencváros (loan)||2009–10||Nemzeti Bajnokság I||5||0||—||—||—||5||0|
|Aston Villa||2012–13||Premier League||37||2||1||0||6||0||—||44||2|
- "Updated squads for 2017/18 Premier League confirmed". Premier League. 2 February 2018. Retrieved 10 February 2018.
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2010). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2010–11. Edinburgh: Mainstream Publishing. p. 259. ISBN 978-1-84596-601-0.
- "Matthew Lowton – Sheffield United Profile". Sheffield United F.C. 2 January 2008. Archived from the original on 28 December 2014. Retrieved 14 February 2009.
- "Lowton Makes Debut". Sheffield F.C. 25 March 2010. Retrieved 25 April 2011.
- "Kecskemet 0–0 Ferencvaros – match report". Sheffield United F.C. 10 February 2009. Retrieved 10 February 2009.
- "Lowton re-signs". Sheffield United F.C. 29 September 2010. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 30 September 2010.
- "Sheer elation for Matt". Sheffield United Mad. 17 October 2010. Retrieved 7 November 2010.
- "Lowton sets his sights on top-flight after signing deal". The Sheffield Star. 12 August 2011. Retrieved 12 August 2010.
- "Games played by Matthew Lowton in 2011/2012". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 29 December 2013.
- "Lowton Signs for Aston Villa". Daily Mail. 6 July 2012. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "West Ham 1–0 Aston Villa". BBC Sport. 18 August 2012. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- "Aston Villa 2–0 Swansea". BBC Sport. 15 September 2012. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- "Clarets Complete Lowton Swoop". Burnley F.C. 22 June 2015.
- "Aston Villa defender Matt Lowton set to join Burnley".
- "Games played by Matthew Lowton in 2015/2016". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 23 June 2015.
- "Charlton 0–3 Burnley". BBC Sport. 7 May 2016. Retrieved 13 May 2018.
- "Games played by Matthew Lowton in 2009/2010". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 23 June 2015.
- "Games played by Matthew Lowton in 2010/2011". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 23 June 2015.
- "Games played by Matthew Lowton in 2011/2012". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 23 June 2015.
- "Games played by Matthew Lowton - Magyarfutball.hu". Magyar Futbull. Retrieved 23 June 2015.
- "Games played by Matthew Lowton in 2012/2013". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 23 June 2015.
- "Games played by Matthew Lowton in 2013/2014". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 23 June 2015.
- "Games played by Matthew Lowton in 2014/2015". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 23 June 2015.
- "Games played by Matthew Lowton in 2016/2017". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- "Games played by Matthew Lowton in 2017/2018". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 11 February 2018.
- "Games played by Matthew Lowton in 2018/2019". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matthew Lowton.|
- Matthew Lowton at Soccerbase