This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (April 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The front of the Maturango Museum
|Location||100 E. Las Flores Ave. Ridgecrest, CA|
|Type||Cultural history, natural history and geology|
Maturango Museum is located in Ridgecrest, California. The museum is best known for the guided tours of the Coso Rock Art District located on China Lake Naval Weapons Station. The museum offers exhibits and displays featuring both the natural and the cultural history and diversity of the Northern Mojave Desert with exhibits of animals, plants, rocks and minerals, Native American artifacts, and contemporary arts and crafts.
This small museum was founded in 1962 and originally designed to highlight the history of Ridgecrest and nearby China Lake. The town of Ridgecrest where the museum is located, is surrounded by four mountain ranges; the Sierra Nevada on the west, the Cosos on the north, the Argus Range on the east, and the El Paso Mountains on the south. It is approximately 80 miles from the Lancaster/Palmdale area and approximately 115 miles (185 km) from both Bakersfield and San Bernardino, the three nearest major urban centers. This museum is named after the highest peak in the Argus Range.
Since 2014, Debbie Benson has served as director of the museum.
- Annual Dinner
- Wildflower Show
- Sylvia Winslow Exhibit Gallery Show
- Ridgecrest Desert Wildflower Festival
- List of museums in California
- Historic landmarks in California
- List of nature centers in California
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Kern County, California
- Ridgecrest Petroglyph Festival
- Smith, Scott S. (2017-12-05). "Bakersfield, California, the Undiscovered Destination (even for Christmas)". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2018-08-22.
- "Preserving the past with Petroglyphs". KGET. 2018-08-10. Retrieved 2018-08-22.
- Plata, Julie. "East Kern County's museums a reflection of community spirit, pride". The Bakersfield Californian. Retrieved 2018-08-22.
- Neipp, Rebecca (2014-11-26). "Benson is new Maturango Museum director". The News Review Ridgecrest. Retrieved 2018-08-22.
- "Permanent Exhibits in the Museum's North Gallery". Maturango Museum. Retrieved 2009-03-28.
- "Annual Events". Maturango Museum. Retrieved 2009-03-28.