San Gregorio Nacianceno church
Mayarí municipality (red) within
Holguín Province (yellow) and Cuba
|Established||January 19, 1879 (Municipality)|
|• Total||1,307 km2 (505 sq mi)|
|Elevation||15 m (49 ft)|
|• Density||80.7/km2 (209/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
The municipality is divided into the barrios and hamlets of Barajagua, Cabonico, Cajimaya, Chavaleta Norte, Chavaleta Sur, Guayabo, Juan Vicente, Mateo Sánchez, Punta de Tabaco, Río Frío, Sae-Tía, San Gregario Norte, San Gregorio Sur and Santa Isabel. Birán, the birthplace of Fidel and Raúl Castro, was part of Mayarí until the 1976 reform, when it became part of the neighboring Cueto municipality.
Among other barrios or neighborhoods in this municipality are: Felton (on Cajimaya Bay, once the seaport for the Bethlehem Cuba Iron Mines Company -Bethlehem Steel-), Guaro, Guatemala (on Nipe Bay, previously named Preston and a central sugar mill operated by the United Fruit Company), Nicaro-Levisa (on Levisa Bay, originally named Lengua de Pajaro which translated into English means bird's tongue -as viewed from an air ride-), El Purio, Santa Rita, La Italiana, Mandinga. The last two being on the road to the open mines named Mina Martí where nickel and cobalt exploitation started in the beginnings of the twentieth century by Bethlehem Cuba Iron Mines Company (Bethlehem Steel) and Nicaro Nickel Company.
The Sierra Cristal National Park (Spanish: Parque Nacional Sierra Cristal) is partly located in the Mayarí Municipality and partly in neighboring Sagua de Tánamo Municipality. Other attractions include Cayo Saetía, a scenic cay with beaches located within the municipality on the Bay of Nipe, north of the Mayarí city.
It also appears in the song “Las Mujeres de Mayarí” (“The women of Mayarí”) in the same album.
- Guije.com. "Mayarí" (in Spanish). Retrieved October 9, 2007.
- Statoids (July 2003). "Municipios of Cuba". Retrieved October 9, 2007.
- Atenas.cu (2004). "2004 Population trends, by Province and Municipality" (in Spanish). Archived from the original on September 27, 2007. Retrieved October 9, 2007.
- (in Spanish) Birán on EcuRed
- 5904273 Cueto on OpenStreetMap
- 1336109283 Birán on OpenStreetMap
- Infos on archive.org
- Radio Habana. "Parque Nacional Sierra Cristal" (in Spanish). Archived from the original on October 4, 2007. Retrieved October 9, 2007.
- Media related to Mayarí at Wikimedia Commons