This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Country of origin||Greece|
|Variants||Metaxa 5 stars, Metaxa 7 stars, Metaxa 12 stars, Metaxa Grande Fine, Metaxa Angels Treasure, Metaxa Private Reserve, Metaxa AEN|
|Website||The official Metaxa website|
MΕΤΑΧΑ (Greek: Μεταξά) is a Greek amber spirit created by Spyros Metaxa in 1888. Its taste comes from the combination of Muscat wines from the island of Samos, aged wine distillates, and Mediterranean botanicals.
The Metaxa Collection consists of Metaxa aged 5 Stars, Metaxa aged 7 Stars, Metaxa aged 12 Stars, Metaxa Grande Fine, Metaxa Private Reserve, Metaxa Angels’ Treasure and Aen Metaxa.
Metaxa is sold in more than 50 countries, including China, Canada, US, Australia, New Zealand, Austria, Germany, Greece, Czech Republic, Slovak Republic, Romania, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Ukraine, Hungary, Poland, Russia, UK, Republic of Ireland.
Metaxa has been part of the Rémy Cointreau Group since 2000.
Spyros Metaxa was born in 1848 into a family of Greek silk merchants. His first business was in the trade of fine goods. During his travels, he was exposed to a number of different spirits and wines from all around the world. According to the company, spirits of the time tended to be harsh on the palate. Spyros Metaxa wanted a smoother drink and created Metaxa in 1888.
Spyros and his brothers Elias and Alexander built their first distillery in 1888 in Piraeus, the port of Athens. The "Salamina Warrior", the Metaxa emblem, is said to have been inspired by a medallion found in the foundations of the distillery.
Metaxa became a commercial success, started being exported to countries across the Mediterranean, and in 1900 was exported to the US.
In 1968, the distillery and the Metaxa cellars were relocated to new facilities in Athens' northern suburb of Kifissia where they are today.
Although it was first compared to Cognac, and later to brandy, Metaxa is not classified in either of these spirit categories due to the presence of the Muscat wines and the Mediterranean botanicals.
The company's current[when?] Metaxa master, the equivalent of a master distiller or master blender, Constantinos Raptis, is the fifth since 1888. He has overseen the production process for more than 25 years.
Metaxa is made from Muscat wines from Samos and wine distillates, which are aged separately and then combined in Limousin oak casks. Mediterranean botanicals are added as part of the finishing process.
The island of Samos is in the Eastern Mediterranean. The highest mountain is Mount Ambelos (1,160m). Ampelos means "vine" in Greek. Grapes, primarily Muscat, are cultivated in terraces and hand-picked.
- Metaxa 5 Stars: floral, intended to be served neat, on ice or in long drinks.
- Metaxa 7 Stars: fruity, served neat, on ice or in cocktails.
- Metaxa 12 Stars: the company's flagship product, intended to be served neat, with a single piece of ice, or in cocktails.
- Metaxa Grande Fine: sold in a porcelain bottle created by a Greek designer, served neat or on ice.
- Metaxa Private Reserve: The creation of Constantinos Raptis in 1992. Created once a year, in a single batch, served neat.
- Metaxa Angels' Treasure: aged for decades, aromatic, served neat.
- Metaxa AEN Cask No 1: In 2008, to celebrate its 120th anniversary, a mix of over 200 blends drawn from Cask No. 1 named after Spyros Metaxa. Sold in crystal decanters, served neat.
- Metaxa AEN Cask No 2: In 2018, to celebrate the 130th anniversary of the company, Metaxa released 130 decanters of blends from "The Family of Original Casks", brought in from the first distillery in Piraeus.
- Metaxa 5 Stars - Wine Enthusiast, 87 Points: "Best buy, very good, recommended".
- Metaxa 7 Stars – Drinks International Cocktail Challenge, Metaxa Ginger Sour, Bronze Medal
- Metaxa 12 Stars – IWSC Silver and Bronze Medals, ISC Bronze Medal, USC 86 Points
- Metaxa Private Reserve– Wine Enthusiast, 87 Points: "Very good, recommended".
- Metaxa Angels' Treasure – The Spirits Master Gold Medal
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Metaxa.|