Methuen High School
|Methuen High School|
Methuen High School
1 Ranger Road
|Color(s)||Blue & White|
|Athletics conference||Merrimack Valley Conference (MVC)|
|Team name||Methuen Rangers|
|Website||Methuen Public Schools|
Methuen High School is a public secondary school located in the city of Methuen, Massachusetts. Methuen High serves grades nine through twelve for about 1,900 students. It is one of five public schools in Methuen and it is the only high school in the district.
The school was originally designed with the open classroom theory. Since then, a $100 million renovation has been conducted and all classrooms have walls as many other schools do. Also, with the renovation, students now receive iPads which they keep for the entire year. This is known as the 1:1 iPad program.
The school itself is divided into several "houses." The South wing, or South House, holds mathematics, science, business and computer classes. The North House holds classrooms for English and Foreign Languages, including Spanish, Italian, and French. The field house holds theater, JROTC, and physical education classes.
Methuen High is a longtime member of the Merrimack Valley Athletic Conference, recognized by many as among the premier conferences in New England. The school offers 25 sports at the Varsity, Junior Varsity, and Freshmen levels. For boys: football, soccer, cross country, golf, basketball, indoor track, ice hockey, wrestling, tennis, volleyball, baseball, outdoor track, and lacrosse. For girls: field hockey, soccer, cross country, volleyball, swimming & diving, cheerleading, gymnastics, basketball, indoor track, tennis, outdoor track, and softball. Methuen teams play as the Rangers, inspired by Methuen native Robert Rogers and his foundation of Rogers' Rangers, which eventually led to the formation of the United States Army Rangers. Methuen High School also has a competitive marching band which competes in the NESBA conference.
The school holds a wide array of clubs and extra-curricular activities including, but not limited to:
- National Honor Society
- Student Government
- Gay–straight alliance
- Army Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps
- Lyceum Literacy Club
- National Art Honor Society
- American Cancer Society Relay For Life - an annual public service event for the entire community started in 2009; has raised over $1.5 million to date
- Peer Leaders
Classes, which are broken up into "blocks", begin at 7:15 AM and are each one hour long with five minutes in between, with the exception of the first and last blocks of the day (which are 53 minutes long) and classes during the fifth block of the day. This block lasts from 11:28 AM - 12:58 PM and during it, students attend one of three lunch periods that occur during the block and spend the remainder of the time in class. Students are dismissed at 1:55 PM.
- Steve Bedrosian, Former MLB player of the Atlanta Braves, Philadelphia Phillies, San Francisco Giants 
- Jamie Cassidy - Former WNBA player with the Miami Sol 
- Susie Castillo - Miss USA 2003, MTV VJ 
- Calvin Kattar - professional Mixed Martial Artist, current UFC Featherweight
- Gary McLain - Former Villanova men's basketball player
- Sean Furey - Two-time United States Olympic Team member (2012, 2016) - Javelin
- "Methuen High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 10, 2019.
- Huggins, J.J. (2010-05-28). "$100m Methuen High renovation a done deal". The Eagle-Tribune.
- Abelson, Mike (2009-06-03). "First Relay for Life in Methuen proves big success". The Eagle-Tribune.
- "Methuen Relay 2011". YouTube.com.
- "1975 Methuen High School Yearbook".
- Castillo, Susie (2007-06-06). "My 'Mass.' Mania". New York Post. Retrieved 2009-12-13.