Michael Weiss (journalist)
|Education||Townsend Harris High School, Flushing, New York City (Grad. 1998)|
|Alma mater||Dartmouth College, New Hampshire B.A. History (Grad. 2002)|
|Occupation||Journalist, Analyst, Author|
|Employer||The Daily Beast, New York City "Coda Media", New York City|
|Known for||Senior Editor, The Daily Beast|
Editor-in-Chief, Interpreter (online magazine)
Security Analyst, CNN
Columnist, Foreign Policy magazine
|Spouse(s)||Amy Thirjung (2011-Present)|
Michael Weiss is an American journalist and author. Weiss is a senior editor for The Daily Beast, a consulting executive editor at Coda Story, a columnist for Foreign Policy, an author and a frequent national security analyst and contributor for CNN.
Weiss was born to a Jewish family and educated at Townsend Harris High School, a public magnet high school in Flushing, Queens in New York City, from which he graduated in 1998, followed by Dartmouth College in 2002 with a B.A. in History.
Life and career
Weiss currently serves as the editor-in-chief for the online magazine Interpreter, which translates and analyzes Russian news, and senior editor of The Daily Beast, a regular columnist for Foreign Policy magazine. In 2015, he co-wrote the book ISIS: Inside the Army of Terror with Hassan Hassan.
In November 2014, Weiss published a special report in his online magazine the Interpreter that accused Russia of waging "propaganda and disinformation" campaigns. Weiss's report included recommendations on how to confront Russian propaganda which included creating an “internationally recognized ratings system for disinformation.” The recommendations were criticized in an article written by James Carden (executive director of the lobbying organization American Committee for East–West Accord) in the politically progressive outlet The Nation as a "censorship campaign."; Weiss would subsequently feud publicly
In March 2015, in an article cowritten with Michael Pregent, Weiss accused Iran-backed Iraqi Shia militias of committing extensive atrocities against Sunni civilians in the course of their war against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, including "burning people alive in their houses, playing soccer with severed human heads, and ethnically cleansing and razing whole villages to the ground." Weiss and Pregent suggested that "Iran's Shi'ite militias aren't a whole lot better than the Islamic State."
Weiss joined CNN in April 2017.
He is married to Amy Thirjung.
- "Michael Weiss: 'Beware the unintended consequence'". CNN. November 20, 2015. Retrieved September 18, 2016.
- The Daily Beast: "Donald Trump’s Anti-Semitic Mob Came for Me - An appearance on CNN—which included some pushback against Trump’s reaction to the Orlando massacre—was enough to inspire 72 hours of online abuse" by Michael Weiss June 21, 2016
- "The Classic (Vol. 14, No. 6 - June, 1998)" (PDF). Townsend Harris High School, Flushing, New York. June 1998. Retrieved November 24, 2016.
- Asharq Al-Awsat (July 18, 2011). "Asharq Al-Awsat talks to Just Journalism director Michael Weiss". Aawsat.com. Retrieved November 24, 2016.
- Pettengill, Julia (May 4, 2012). "A Whistleblower's story: Sergey Kolesnikov speaks to the Henry Jackson Society". The Henry Jackson Society. Retrieved November 28, 2016.
- "About Us". The Interpreter. Retrieved April 14, 2019.
- "About: Michael Weiss". The Daily Beast. Retrieved September 18, 2016.
- Negus, Steve (April 1, 2015). "'ISIS: Inside the Army of Terror,' and More". The New York Times. Retrieved September 18, 2016.
- Yassin-Kassab, Robin (28 March 2015). "Isis: Inside the Army of Terror; The Rise of Islamic State – review". The Guardian. Retrieved September 18, 2016.
- Traub, James (March 14, 2015). "The Demonic Wellspring". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved September 26, 2016.
- Pomerantsev, Peter; Weiss, Michael (November 2014). "The Menace of Unreality: How the Kremlin Weaponizes Information, Culture and Money" (PDF). The Interpreter. Retrieved November 28, 2016.
- "American Committee for East West Accord Ltd (ACEWA)". lobbyfacts.eu.
- SCHLANGER, ZOË (3/10/14). "THE AMERICAN WHO DARED MAKE PUTIN'S CASE". Newsweek. Newsweek. Check date values in:
- Cohen, Stephen (AUGUST 27, 2014). "Fallacies of US policy may be leading to war with Russia". The Nation. The Nation.
In addition to grassroots support, we even had our own lobbying organization in Washington, the American Committee on East-West Accord, whose board included corporate CEOs, political figures, prominent academics and statesmen of the stature of George Kennan.Check date values in:
- Carden, James (May 19, 2015). "Neo-McCarthyism and the US Media". The Nation. Retrieved November 28, 2016.
- Weiss, Michael. ".@thenation's James Carden has propagated an easily debunked falsehood about what James Mattis said re Assad's use of chemical weapons. He has also serially revised his article without acknowledgement but without improving the accuracy of his claim:". Twitter. Twitter.
- Weiss, Michael. "Carden appears to have been hand-selected as a 'Russia expert' for The Nation's increasingly farcical pages by Professor Stephen Cohen, who finds little to criticize Vladimir Putin for and who lately writes and sounds as if he's someone who would get lost in his own living room". Twitter. Twitter. Retrieved 26 Apr 2018.
- Weiss, Michael. "Carden is an emotionally unstable crank who once threatened violence against @cjcmichel. Nevertheless he fronts a DC-based pro-Kremlin organization partly financed by the vanden Heuvel family, whose money controls The Nation". Twitter. Twitter.
- Weiss, Michael; Pregent, Michael (2015-03-28). "The U.S. Is Providing Air Cover for Ethnic Cleansing in Iraq". Foreign Policy. Retrieved February 2, 2019.
- "Former Daily Beast Editor Joins CNN as Investigative Reporter For International Affairs". Adweek. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- Michigan,com: "THIRJUNG, GARY S." February 14, 2013