Military of Greenland
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The government of Greenland does not have control of Greenland's military or foreign affairs. The defence of Greenland is the responsibility of the Kingdom of Denmark. However, following the November 2008 referendum on increased autonomy, which attracted significant popular support (72% turnout, 75% vote in favor), the governments of Greenland and Denmark have agreed to a 30-point package that will begin to give Greenland greater powers over defence and foreign affairs.
Domestic Military Statistics
- Military Branches: no regular military forces
- Manpower available for military service: males age 16–49: 15,280 (2010 est.)
- Manpower fit for military service: males age 16–49: 10,765 females age 16–49: 11,399 (2010 est.)
- Manpower reaching militarily significant age annually: male: 488 female: 478 (2010 est.)
- Military – note: defence is the responsibility of Denmark
Changes from June 2009
The post-referendum governmental changes became effective in June 2009. Those that affect military provision include:
- Greenland's government will be given significant autonomy in determining foreign affairs.
- Many aspects of foreign affairs policy will no longer be linked to Danish policy.
- Control of the militarised Greenlandic Coast Guard will be transferred to the Government of Greenland.
- The Greenlandic government will take control of policing, including the police motor launches currently trained to assist military in the Island Command Greenland.
- "North America :: Greenland ." CIA - The World Factbook. Central Intelligence Agency, 18 Jul 2011. Web. 18 Jul 2011. <https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/gl.html>.
|This military-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Greenland-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|