Military ranks and insignia of the Sri Lanka Army
|Sri Lanka Army|
The following tables present the military ranks and insignia of the Sri Lanka Army. These ranks generally correspond with those of Western or Commonwealth Nations militaries, and reflect those of the British Warrant Officer, Non-Commissioned Officer and ordninary soldier ranks and the Commissioned officer ranks. The highest attainable rank in the Sri Lanka Army is a Lieutenant General which is held by the Commander of the Army (the professional head of the army). However the Sri Lanka Army does have a Full General rank, but it is usually only awarded to the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) or as an honorary rank; Sarath Fonseka was the only Sri Lankan Army Chief to hold the full general rank of the Sri Lanka army while serving as the Sri Lankan Army Commander in 2009, also in 2015 he was awarded to the rank of Field Marshal for life.
|OF-10||OF-9||OF-8||OF-7||OF-6||OF-5||OF-4||OF-3||OF-2||OF-1||OF(D) and student officer|
| Sri Lanka
|Field Marshal||General||Lieutenant General||Major General||Brigadier||Colonel||Lieutenant Colonel||Major||Captain||Lieutenant||Second Lieutenant||Officer Cadet|
| Sri Lanka
|Staff Sergeant||Sergeant||Corporal||Lance Corporal||Private|
- Comparative military ranks
- Military rank
- Military of Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Navy rank insignia
- Sri Lanka Air Force rank insignia
- "Three Service Commanders promoted". The Government of Sri Lanka. 19 May 2009. Archived from the original on 26 July 2011. Retrieved 8 July 2018.
- "General Sarath Fonseka (1970–2009) promoted to the rank of Field Marshal". asiantribune.com. 20 March 205.
- Army, Sri Lanka. (1st Edition - October 1999). "50 YEARS ON" - 1949–1999, Sri Lanka Army. ISBN 955-8089-02-8