Minister responsible for Official Languages (Canada)
|Minister responsible for|
|Department of Canadian Heritage|
|Reports to||The Prime Minister of Canada|
|Appointer||Governor General of Canada|
|Term length||At Her Majesty's pleasure|
The Minister responsible for Official Languages is the Minister of the Crown in the Canadian Cabinet who is entrusted with the enforcement of the Official Languages Act, ensuring that government services are available in both English and French, protecting minority language rights, particularly in the area of education, as well as promoting bilingualism throughout Canada.
In 2003 the first Minister responsible for Official Languages was sworn in, on the creation of the "Official Languages Branch of Intergovernmental Affairs" within the Privy Council Office. In 2006, responsibility was shifted from the Privy Council Office to the Department of Canadian Heritage, and the branch was renamed the "Official Languages Secretariat".
Sections 42 and 43 of the Official Languages Act give the Minister of Canadian Heritage the specific responsibility of taking measures to advance the equality of status and use of English and French in Canadian society; under section 44 of that Act, the Minister must submit annual reports to Parliament on the matters relating to official languages for which the Minister is responsible.
List of Ministers
|No.||Name||Term of office||Political party||Ministry|
|1||Pierre Pettigrew||December 12, 2003||July 19, 2004||Liberal||27th (Martin)|
|2||Mauril Bélanger||July 20, 2004||February 5, 2006||Liberal||27th (Martin)|
|3||Josée Verner||February 6, 2006||July 28, 2008||Conservative||28th (Harper)|
|4||James Moore||October 30, 2008||July 14, 2013||Conservative||28th (Harper)|
|5||Shelly Glover||July 15, 2013||November 4, 2015||Conservative||28th (Harper)|
|6||Mélanie Joly||July 18, 2018||Incumbent||Liberal||29th (Trudeau)|
- Department of Canadian Heritage
- Official bilingualism in Canada
- Official Languages Act (Canada)
- Minister of Canadian Heritage
- Official Languages Support Programs (Department of Canadian Heritage web site)
- Official Languages Secretariat (Department of Canadian Heritage web site)
- Funding Opportunities — Official Languages (Department of Canadian Heritage web site)
- "Official Languages Secretariat". Retrieved 2011-07-23.
- "Order Transferring from Privy Council Office to the Department of Canadian Heritage the Control and Supervision of the Official Languages Secretariat, SI/2006-45".
- Official Languages Act, R.S.C. 1985, c. 31 (4th Supp.)
- "Canadian Heritage Official Languages Annual Reports".