Misión Santa María de los Ángeles
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (May 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Mission Santa María de los Ángeles was the last of the missions established by the Jesuits in Baja California, Mexico, in 1767. The site chosen was the Cochimí settlement of Cabujakaamung ("arroyo of crags"), west of Bahía San Luis Gonzaga near the Gulf of California coast, about 22 kilometers east of Rancho Santa Inés, and south of Cataviña.
The mission site was visited by the Jesuit missionary-explorers Ferdinand Konščak and Wenceslaus Linck. Victoriano Arnés founded the mission to replace the unsatisfactory site of Calamajué only months before the Jesuits were expelled from Baja California. After the establishment of Mission San Fernando Velicatá, Santa María was reduced to the status of a visita, or subordinate mission station. The visita was abandoned in 1818. Ruined structural walls and rock corrals survive at the site.
- Vernon, Edward W. 2002. Las Misiones Antiguas: Las Misiones Españolas de Baja California, 1683-1855. Viejo Press, Santa Barbara, California.
|This New Spain-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|