Mississippi State Guard
Mississippi State Guard SSI
|Type||State defense force|
|Purpose||To serve the State of Mississippi in aid with, to or in lieu of the Mississippi National Guard|
|Headquarters||1410 Riverside Drive Jackson, Mississippi 39296|
|Gov. Phil Bryant|
|MG Janson D. Boyles|
MSSG Commanding General
|Doug Hayhurst, Brigadier General (MS) MSSG|
MSSG State Command Sergeant Major
|CSM Karl Rogers|
|Mississippi Military Department|
|Affiliations||Mississippi Air National Guard|
The Mississippi State Guard (MSSG) is the state defense force of Mississippi. It operates under the authority of the Mississippi Military Department alongside the Mississippi Army National Guard (MSARNG) and the Mississippi Air National Guard (MSANG).
The MSSG was initially established by executive order during World War II, after Mississippi National Guard units were called to federal active duty. In 1986, the United States Army adopted the "Total Force Concept" in which the National Guard of all states are trained as, and considered an integral part of the active duty forces of the United States military, though remaining under state control unless activated to federal service. The MSSG was re-activated and reorganized as a cadre force to augment the state's National Guard forces as necessary in the event of their federal deployment.
The MSSG open to citizens of Mississippi, male and female, age 17 to 62. All applicants are subject to rigid background checks. An oath of office is required, though there is no contractual obligation to members. The MSSG is an all-volunteer organization tasked with supplementing the forces of the MSARNG or MSANG when ordered by the Governor and/or Adjutant General of the State of Mississippi. While its primary mission is to assist in coping with man-made or natural disaster, the MSSG trains to be ready to meet any assignment.
All new state guardsmen receive military training in the wear and appearance of their uniform, military structure and ranking system, military chain of command, rendering proper honors and respect to those appointed over them.
Guardsmen are required to train in emergency management, by taking courses provided by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Completion of the FEMA training is necessary to earn the Military Emergency Management Specialist Badge. Members also receive specialized training in the military police occupational specialty.
The Commanding General of the MSSG is appointed by the Adjutant General and Governor of the State of Mississippi, and reports directly to them. All commissioned officer appointments and or promotions must be approved by the Adjutant General and the Governor of Mississippi.
The Mississippi State Guard is organized into three Brigades, each with two Battalions. The units include:
- 1st Security Brigade
- 110th Battalion (Meridian, MS)
- 120th Battalion (Jackson, MS)
- 2nd Security Brigade
- 210th Battalion (Corinth, MS)
- 220th Battalion (Camp McCain)
- 3rd Security Brigade
- 310th Battalion (Camp Shelby)
- 320th Battalion (Camp Shelby)
Ribbons and decorations
Ribbons and decorations authorized for wear on the MSSG uniforms may be those that have been officially awarded by competent authority:
- Federally authorized ribbons and decorations awarded by the branches of the U.S. Armed Forces: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or Coast Guard, active or reserve components.
- State authorized ribbons and decorations awarded by the Air or Army National Guard of any state.
- Ribbons representing awards by the Mississippi State Guard.
- United States recognized foreign decorations or ribbons.
- State Guard Association of the United States (SGAUS), Military Emergency Management Academy (MEMS); MEMS Flash; MEMS Basic, Senior, or
Master Qualification Badge.
Ribbons, decorations medals or badges awarded by the Civil Air Patrol, college or high school ROTC, or any other paramilitary organizations are not authorized for wear on the MSSG uniform.
Authorized state guard ribbons and awards
- MSSG Distinguished Service Ribbon
- MSSG Meritorious Service Ribbon
- MSSG Commendation Ribbon
- MSSG Achievement Ribbon
- MSSG Award of Merit
- MSSG Longevity Service Ribbon
- MSSG Operation Desert Shield/Storm Service Ribbon
- MSSG Recruitment Ribbon
- MSSG Training Ribbon
- MSSG Association Membership Ribbon
- Mississippi Military Department
- Mississippi Army National Guard
- Mississippi Air National Guard
- Mississippi Wing Civil Air Patrol
- "§ 33-5-51 - Organization of the State Guard". justia.com. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- "Mississippi Military Department" (PDF). Mississippi Secretary of State. Retrieved 12 June 2016.
- "Joining the Guard". The Official Mississippi State Guard Website. Retrieved 12 June 2016.
- "Training". The Official Mississippi State Guard Website. Retrieved 12 June 2016.
- "Units". The Official Mississippi State Guard Website. Retrieved 12 June 2016.
- MSSG Regulation 670-1, Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms and Insignia