Move Your Body (Sia song)
|"Move Your Body"|
|Single by Sia|
|from the album This Is Acting|
|Released||6 January 2017Alan Walker remix)(single version) 21 October 2016 (|
|Sia singles chronology|
"Move Your Body" is a song by Australian singer and songwriter Sia. It was released in January 2017 as the fourth single from her seventh studio album This Is Acting (2016). The song was used in a commercial for the 500 Lexus LC.
"Move Your Body" was originally intended for Shakira, but was rejected. Sia commented on her interview in 2015 with Rolling Stone, saying, "One of them is a Shakira reject, which there's no doubt when you hear it. You'll know that it was a Shakira reject because I sound like Shakira."
Overall response to the song was mixed. Bradley Stern of MuuMuse raved: Move Your Body, a pulsating Shakira offering, proves once again that the “Titanium” singer is a more than welcome addition to the club scene, providing a sweaty, carnal call-to-arms filled with an instant catchy chant for the dance floor." Alex McCown-Levy of The A.V. Club wrote: "Move Your Body, [Sia's] attempt at a straight-up Europop dance-floor jam, suffers from a lack of distinction. It's an obvious play for a club hit, but it feels a bit predictable and safe—enjoyable, yes, but so calculated as to be stripped of any sense of engagement, like Robyn on autopilot." Carl Wilson of Billboard called the song "overwhelming", while Lindsay Zolandz of Vulture.com deemed it "the most ridiculous song on This Is Acting", and "catchy dance track" is how The New Zealand Herald's Kim Gillespie described the number. Idolator's Kathy Iandoli argued that the song "makes a valiant attempt to lighten things up a bit." Writing for The Guardian, Kitty Empire said: "There is nothing wrong with [Move Your Body], if you like your pop as gusty as a typhoon."
The Independent's Hugh Montgomery called the song a "stuttering dancefloor magnet", while Sal Cinquemani of Slant Magazine offered that "[songs like] “Move Your Body,” whose unabashed 4/4 beat and clattering EDM percussion are straight out of Rihanna’s Loud, seem more like dated outtakes than underappreciated gems." Sarah Rodman of The Boston Globe wrote "The thumping groove of “Move Your Body” — which in a just world would be a dancefloor smash — has Shakira written all over it, and inspires the titular command."
A lyric video of "Move Your Body" was uploaded on Sia's Vevo account on YouTube on 12 January 2017. The video is set in a photography studio in an American Mall in 1987, and features a girl (portrayed by Lilliana Ketchman) and her parents in a glamour photo shoot until she runs off set, where she finds Sia's signature black-and-blonde wig in a dressing room and tries it on. She then photobombs strangers' posed pictures until her parents drag her away, but the strangers invite her back for even more photos and dance along with her. It is notable that the girl elects to leave her shoes behind; most of the dance moves expected of her require precise footwork that cannot be done in the sneakers the girl is wearing, so the music video sets up an excuse for her to be in just socks (despite a dusty studio floor), when she is seen leaving her shoes behind so she can squeeze through a wardrobe. The young girl is also shown wearing a black facemask that obscures all her facial features, which is a typical signature of Sia. The music video itself heavily implies that the young girl is supposed to be Sia as a child, and viewers are witnessing the moment of the stage persona's birth.
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||200,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
|Worldwide||6 January 2017||Digital download|
- "Move Your Body (single mix)". iTunes Australia. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- "'Move Your Body': Sia Kicks Off Her 2017 With a Bang(er)". PopCrush. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- "Sia's Reject Opus: Songwriter on Reclaiming Adele, Rihanna's Unwanted Hits". Rolling Stone. 5 December 2015. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- Sia Lifts Up the Curtain on ‘This Is Acting’ (Album Review)
- Sia - This Is Acting
- Music Review: Sia, This is Acting
- Sia Struggles to Find Her Identity on 'This Is Acting': Album Review
- Album Review: This is Acting
- Sia's 'This Is Acting': Album Review
- Sia: This Is Acting review – mass-appeal pop with a manic edge
- This Is Acting - review
- Sia - This Is Acting
- Album review: Sia, ‘This Is Acting’
- "SIA'S 'MOVE YOUR BODY' VIDEO IS BASICALLY ONE GIANT PHOTOBOMB". MTV. Retrieved 12 January 2017.
- "Sia's Goofy New Music Video Stars a Tiny, Prancing Sia Photo-Bombing a Bunch of Glamour Shots". Slate. Retrieved 12 January 2017.
- "This Is Acting". iTunes United States. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- "Move Your Body (Single Mix) - Single". iTunes United States. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- "This Is Acting (Deluxe Version)". iTunes United States. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- "Move Your Body (Alan Walker Remix)". YouTube. 21 October 2016. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- "ARIA Australian Top 50 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association. 30 January 2017. Retrieved 28 January 2017.
- "ARIA Dance Singles Chart – Week Commencing 30 January 2017" (PDF). Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- "Ultratop.be – Sia – Move Your Body" (in Dutch). Ultratip. Retrieved 25 February 2017.
- "Ultratop.be – Sia – Move Your Body" (in French). Ultratip. Retrieved 10 March 2017.
- "Sia Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved 18 January 2017.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: Change the chart to CZ – RADIO – TOP 100 and insert 201711 into search. Retrieved 21 March 2017.
- "Sia: Move Your Body" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- "Sia: Move Your Body" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland. Retrieved October 30, 2016.
- "Le Top de la semaine : Top Singles Téléchargés - SNEP (Week 2, 2017)" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. Retrieved 14 January 2017.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Single (track) Top 40 lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége. Retrieved 20 January 2017.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Move Your Body". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved 18 February 2017.
- "Classifica settimanale WK 3" (in Italian). Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana. Retrieved 21 January 2017.
- "Latvijas Top 40". Latvijas Radio. 11 March 2017. Archived from the original on 9 March 2017. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- "Mexico Airplay: Feb 25, 2017". Billboard. Retrieved 17 May 2018.
- "NZ Heatseekers Singles Chart". Recorded Music NZ. 16 January 2017. Retrieved 13 January 2017.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Sia – Move Your Body". VG-lista. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- "Listy bestsellerów, wyróżnienia :: Związek Producentów Audio-Video". Polish Airplay Top 100. Retrieved 6 March 2017.
- "Listy bestsellerów, wyróżnienia :: Związek Producentów Audio-Video". Polish Dance Top 50. Retrieved 15 March 2017.
- "Official Russia Top 100 Airplay Chart (week 6)" (in Russian). Tophit. Retrieved 16 February 2017.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 18 February 2017.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Sia – Move Your Body" Canciones Top 50. Retrieved 20 March 2017.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Sia – Move Your Body". Singles Top 100. Retrieved 14 January 2017.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 18 February 2017.
- "Sia Chart History (Dance Club Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved 31 January 2017.
- "Sia Chart History (Dance Mix/Show Airplay)". Billboard. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- "Airplay 2017 – w pierwszej trójce Sheeran, Tiësto i Hyży" (in Polish). Polish Society of the Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 22 January 2018.
- "Dance Club Songs – Year-End 2017". Billboard. Retrieved 18 December 2017.
- "French single certifications – Sia – Move Your Body" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. Retrieved 31 August 2017.
- "Italian single certifications – Sia – Move Your Body" (in Italian). Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana. Retrieved 25 September 2017. Select "2017" in the "Anno" drop-down menu. Select "Move Your Body" in the "Filtra" field. Select "Singoli online" under "Sezione".
- "Polish single certifications – Sia – Move Your Body" (in Polish). Polish Society of the Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 1 March 2017.
- "Guld- och Platinacertifikat" (in Swedish). IFPI Sweden. Retrieved 7 March 2017. Type Sia in the top right search bar. Click on "Sok" and select "Visa" under Move Your Body to see certification.
- "British single certifications – Sia – Move Your Body". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 20 October 2017. Select singles in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Type Move Your Body in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.