Mullaghduff, County Donegal
This article does not cite any sources. (October 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
An Mullach Dubh
Bonner's Bar pub in Mullaghduff
|• Dáil Éireann||Donegal|
|• EU Parliament||Midlands–North-West|
|Time zone||UTC+0 (WET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-1 (IST (WEST))|
|Area code(s)||074 95, +000 353 74 95|
|Irish Grid Reference|
Mullaghduff (Irish: An Mullach Dubh) is a townland in northwest County Donegal, Ireland. It forms part of the greater Rosses region and is officially in the Gaeltacht, however, English is the predominantly spoken language today.
The name Mullaghduff is an anglicisation of the Irish placename ‘An Mullach Dubh’, which means 'The Black Hilltop'; which possibly derives from the blackish soil which covers the nearby hills.
Music & Sport
Mullaghduff is home to the world-renowned marching band Buíonn Cheoil Mhullach Dubh, founded in 1881, which includes the "Old Band" and the "Wee Band".
Mullaghduff is also home to Glasgow Celtic's first sod of turf, which was cut in April 1995 and placed in Celtic Park. In June 1995, a small plaque which is along the road was unveiled by Celtic Captain Paul McStay.
The predominant religion in Mullaghduff is Roman Catholicism and is part of the parish of Kincasslagh. The nearest churches that serve parishioners are St. Mary's Church in Kincasslagh and St. Mary's Star of the Sea in Annagry.
|This article related to the geography of County Donegal, Ireland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|