D van Soolingen, et al., 1997
Mycobacterium canettii, a novel pathogenic taxon of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex (MTBC), was first reported in 1969 by the French microbiologist Georges Canetti, for whom the organism has been named. It formed smooth and shiny colonies, which is highly exceptional for the MTBC. It was described in detail in 1997 on the isolation of a new strain from a 2-year-old Somali patient with lymphadenitis. It did not differ from Mycobacterium tuberculosis in the biochemical tests and in its 16S rRNA sequence. It had shorter generation time than clinical isolates of M. tuberculosis and presented a unique, characteristic phenolic glycolipid and lipo-oligosaccharide. In 1998, Pfyffer described abdominal lymphatic TB in a 56-year-old Swiss man with HIV infection who lived in Kenya. Tuberculosis caused by M. canettii appears to be an emerging disease in the Horn of Africa. A history of a stay to the region should induce the clinician to consider this organism promptly even if the clinical features of TB caused by M. canettii are not specific. The natural reservoir, host range, and mode of transmission of the organism are still unknown.
- van Soolingen D, Hoogenboezem T, de Haas PE, et al. (October 1997). "A novel pathogenic taxon of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex, Canetti: characterization of an exceptional isolate from Africa". Int. J. Syst. Bacteriol. 47 (4): 1236–45. doi:10.1099/00207713-47-4-1236. PMID 9336935.[permanent dead link]
- Pfyffer GE, Auckenthaler R, van Embden JD, van Soolingen D (1998). "Mycobacterium canettii, the smooth variant of M. tuberculosis, isolated from a Swiss patient exposed in Africa". Emerging Infect. Dis. 4 (4): 631–4. doi:10.3201/eid0404.980414. PMC 2640258. PMID 9866740.
Koeck, J.-L.; Fabre, M.; Simon, F.; Daffé, M.; Garnotel, É.; Matan, A. B.; Gérôme, P.; Bernatas, J.-J.; et al. (2011). "Clinical characteristics of the smooth tubercle bacilli Mycobacterium canettii infection suggest the existence of an environmental reservoir". Clinical Microbiology and Infection. 17 (7): 1013–9. doi:10.1111/j.1469-0691.2010.03347.x. PMID 20831613.
- Fabre, Michel; Hauck, Yolande; Soler, Charles; Koeck, Jean-Louis; Van Ingen, Jakko; Van Soolingen, Dick; Vergnaud, Gilles; Pourcel, Christine (2010). "Molecular characteristics of 'Mycobacterium canettii' the smooth Mycobacterium tuberculosis bacilli". Infection, Genetics and Evolution. 10 (8): 1165–73. doi:10.1016/j.meegid.2010.07.016. PMID 20692377.
- Miltgen, Jean; Morillon, Marc; Koeck, Jean-Louis; Varnerot, Anne; Briant, Jean-François; Nguyen, Gilbert; Verrot, Denis; Bonnet, Daniel; Vincent, Véronique (2002). "Two Cases of Pulmonary Tuberculosis Caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis subsp. canetti". Emerging Infectious Diseases. 8 (11): 1350–2. doi:10.3201/eid0811.020017. PMC 2738533. PMID 12453369.
- "Mycobacterium canettii". NCBI Taxonomy Browser. 78331.